My Stevens 200 223 review...

fourrobert13

I got this rifle last month. I originally had a 308 and shot it, but the gun was so light, it made the 308 a bear to shoot. I sold the 308 and bought the same gun in 223. Of course the gray stock is ugly, so I used Brownell's aluma-hyde II and painted the stock OD green (I like green). Any way, I took it out last week and shot some factory ammo through it to sight in the scope (Sightron S1 3x9x40mm). I was getting the shots on paper but nothing real impressive (1 1/2" groups with various ammo). Well I came home and worked up several different handloads in groups of 4 rounds using two different powders and two different bullet. Powders used were Varget and H335 and I used Sierra 69 gr HPBT and Hornady 68 gr HPBT. All cases were neck sized only and the COAL was 2.255 on all loads. Any way, the rifle functioned fine with my handloads, and the 223 is a joy to shoot. The rifle shocked me when it liked a particular load. I wasn't expecting it to do very well with H335 but after I saw the target, I wasn't compaling. 3/4" group at 100 yards with this load, 23 gr of H335, Winchester brass (neck sized), Hornady 68 gr HPBT match bullet, COAL of 2.255. Second best load was with the same bullet using Varget, but it only produced a 1" group. Not bad for a cheap little rifle IMO.
t2.jpg

223-2.jpg

I also have a Stevens 200 in .223 and I realy like mine as well. I bought a Savage model 10 wood stock, mounted a Leupold 3x9x40, and adjusted the trigger, and I am getting similar groups with handloads. I think it is the best deal going in a bolt action rifle. I like your green stock!!

Back