MY STEAL OF THE YEAR! (Garand)....

cjb

My grandfather called me the other night to ask me what a 30 caliber semi-auto military rifle was worth. He told me it was a Springfield, and was just a little thing with a bayonet lug. I figured he was talking about a 30 carbine. He said he could get it for $200.00. I told him to get it ASAP!
Me and the wife went over to visit the next night, and I asked him if he got it. He went to his bedroom to bring it out. As soon as he rounded the corner, my eyes got as big as hubcaps! A GARAND!!! A Springfield M-1 Garand in about 85-90% condition. If it wasn't for the nicks in the stock, I'd say a sure 90%. He said the guy was selling all his guns to make room for a baseball card shop. He picked it up for $200.00. I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said sell it! I stood up, and whipped out $400.00. He said he would only take the $200.00 he paid for it. WOW!!!!! As I was leaving, he said...Don't you want the ammo?
AMMO????? He handed me a full ammo can that looked to be never opened!! FOR $200.00!!!!!
Now then....... The cleaning kit is gone, and there was no bayonet. Where can I pick up these goodies for a decent price.... and how much should I be ready to spend????
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "

cbj,

You lucked out there, I must say! Good for you. Make sure that you have a 'smith op-check her before loading it up.

Get you a copy of Shotgun News, and look for the "SOG International Inc." ad. Last time that I looked, they were selling Garand bayonets for about $30.00 with the scabard. Damn good deal too. You'll need the en bloc clips, a good price would be .75 or less for each - go for volume!!! A cleaning kit can be had from SARCO, The Gun Parts Corporation, or any of a hundred others - all found in the Shotgun News. You should be able to get everything that you need for about $60.00 less shipping.

Happy shooting!

Unkel Gilbey

UNKEL GILBEY,
I AM A SMITH! So is my dad... but you would not have known unless you read my profile. The rifle checks out! That ammo can has the rounds already in 8 rd. clips...inside geen bandoleers. I guess thats how they were shipped?
Thanks for the info. I left my Shotgun News run out. But my wife is supposed to bring me home one tonight. I remember SOG in the old issues. $30 is a good price for a bayonet... I have seen alot that were over $100 due to historical reasons. I just want a plain Jane. I will check them out! Thanks again!
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "

cjb - Now THAT is my idea of a damned good deal. Congrats!

Ammo included? More like steal of the decade.

In addition to 8 round en bloc's, you may want to consider picking up some reversible 2/5 round clips as well. Since you're a 'smith, you can probably convert a couple of 8 round clips.

An M3 combo tool is nice to have, too. :)

Cliff

How come these things never happen for me? :confused:

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!

grayfox,

buy a garand for 'regular' prices. then the 'deals' will start popping up all over the place. at least that is my experience.

CJB, Check out auctionarm.com
You'll find a ton of stuff on that website as well as eBAY. The Garand has a huge following.

Great Buy!

Rome

Back