My shotgun is beating me up!

Dave3006

I took my M1S90 to the range to practice with 00 and slugs. Somehow, I am getting my cheekbone battered like crazy when I fire it. I get a good stock to face weld for sight alignment. Then, I make sure I am really pulling the gun tight into my shoulder. However, I still am getting beat up. Any suggestions? Kind of takes the fun out of
shooting it.

Dave

There's lots of old threads here on dealing with recoil, Dave. A little research should give you what you need...

Instead of bringing your cheek down to the stock, bring the weapon up to your line of sight. It will seem strange, because only about half the butt will be in your shoulder, but it shouldn't make any difference. Be sure to keep your elbow up horizontal to the ground so that part of the butt that is contacting your shoulder is in a good pocket.

Lean forward slightly, placing the leg on the same side as your support arm out in front. Maybe the weight distribution is 60-40, front to rear.

By leaning into the shotgun, the recoil seems to be more straight back than when you are standing upright. When you stand upright the recoil seems to be more upwards than back. The worst thing you can do is stand upright which leads into leaning back to counter the weight of the gun. Recoil seems accentuated that way.

Don't shoulder it like you do a rifle, in your armpit. Put it in the hard muscle of your pec. This will do A LOT to help you control a 12 ga. This one piece of advice GREATLY improved my skeet scores and I am very happy shooting my M1S90.

If you are getting hit in the cheek, it sounds like the stock is too small. Increas the LOP, it should help.

Hueco

Have you had any experienced shotgunner watch you shoot? That often will help, particularly if you're inexperienced...

A lot is dependent on the stock, as Hueco said. If I used my wife's Browning lightweight 20-gauge for quail, that too-short stock danged near beat me to death! I shoot all manner of 12-gauge from a proper-fit gun with no problems at all--even high-brass heavy loads.

FWIW, Art

I think you guys have something regarding leaning into the gun. I was standing straight up when I shot. It makes sense. I plan to try it next time.

I specifically asked this question at Front Sight to Mr Piazza (Four gun master) and owner of Frontsight training institute. They assured me the possition is the same as a sub gun, which has the bottom of the recoil pad just below the clavical and NOT on the shoulder as there is more nerve damage that can occur there. Bring gun in close to face and lean into it the more upright you are the more the top of the stock will stick up and not engage your body. If you lean in enough that should put most if not all the recoil pad on your body. And that elbow should be down especially training with super 90 (if for defence) as they pointed out if you round a corner its the first thing to get shot if it is horizonal.
If it feels aukward it is probably right, I have used my shoulder and leaned my head down with elbow up for years, what a 360 they taught me. For sub gun there was quite a bit of bend at the waist and a very open position. By end of day most shooters could empty full 20rd mag in to target center mass at 21 feet, all my shots can be cover by my hand. So it seemed to work for me. Good luck.

Back