My Self-Control Sucks : New Mauser M2

hksigwalther

Well, I have purchase quite a number of guns this past year, more guns than I financially should have and had planned to. My last (a week ago) was a P7M8 reburb. I had a new P7M8 ordered but was told by my dealer that HK is telling him new ones won't be available for 5-6 months. He did have a P7M8 police refurb he just got in that he would let me have first dibs on though. Saw it, bought it, and.....kept my order for the new one (HKs - Some is good, more is better. Should be enough time for me to payoff the other guns.) After that, I said I was finished (after the new P7 comes in) for a year or two on all firearm purchases.

I can only blame my hoarding to two words : Sore Loserman. They still have a very slight chance of getting in.

Anyways, I was at a gunshow this past week and saw in the very first aisle a new Mauser M2. I had only seen pictures of it and short writeups and had never held one before. I was about the move on when at the last minute, I had asked to hold it. I have always had doubts about the accuracy of rotating barrel actions but it fit VERY well in my hand (average sized). A lot better than the Glock G36 despite being wider due to the double stack mag. It just filled my hand better I guess, no hollow feeling in the palm at the side of the grip like the flatter Glock. The fit and finish was regular SIG (who now own Mauser). The thing I found goofy about it at the show was the safety, which is found in the back just below the slide/end cover. This safety lever is actually (as the manual states) an optional feature. Felt too good in my hand to pass up so I bought it ($400 + 3%CC).

Took it apart at home. A bit unusual to disassemble - unload, lock slide back, turn up left rear lever, hold slide back, pull out slide release, release, take off slide assembly. The only rough spots on the gun is the exterior of the barrel and chamber near the ejection port and some surfaces of the locking insert. Everything else is done very well.

The barrel is thick. Outside diameter is bigger than the P220. The left rear lever lowers the 'catch' which is what pulls the striker back. As the 'catch' travels back when shooting, it cams down (linearly) to release the stiker. It would otherwise hang up on the striker when disassembling the slide. The safety lever is nothing more than a block that prevents the 'catch' from moving backward which would draw the striker back and lower itself to release it. Some aligning (of the captured flat recoil spring/guide and barrel) needs to be ensured for the gun to go back together. The transfer bar is sturrip like a TZ-75 with two disconnect humps. It's biggest drawback (IMO) is the magazine disconnect. It is a lever that is actuated by the flat portion of the tall floorplate on the side of the right grip. The lever raises (engages the 'catch') and lowers the transfer bar.

Mag is 8 rounds double stacked. Appears to be manufactured by MecGar ("MADE IN ITALY"). Two come with the gun (even stated in the manual). From below the dust cover down and the front strap of the grip is very reminiscent of a SIG P228/229 with a straighter trigger. Hopefully, I'll have time this weekend to shoot it. Will post more pics tomorrow.

View

Is the trigger traditional da/sa with a decocker or can it be carried cocked and locked? Thanks.

Regards,
Frank

trigger

The trigger is similar to Glock (without the safety) and the Walther P-99/990. Internal striker, cycling primes the striker for a shorter trigger arc than a traditional DA semiauto. The M2's trigger has a slightly longer travel than the Glock's (G34 I'm comparing to). It is more like a short DA revolver trigger.

Cannot be carried cocked and locked.

The size of this photo will probably close this post

Correction : You can't carry cocked and lock but you can carry semi-cocked and locked. The safety, however, is in the rear and a bit hard to reach quickly. If carried, the safety in the fire position would probably be best.

In the photo, top and middle left are compared against a P7M8. Notice thickness difference. Lower left is muzzle end with a P220. Upper right is underside of slide on left, frame on right.

View

Back