My Second Rifle Build

NRFJR

Hello all, well I finally decided on a barrel twist and length for my 45-70 build, I ended up going with a heavy 28" 1:18 / 8 groove Mcgowen with a straight taper. It is coming along and I think I am going to be happy with my choice of barrel. Still needs more finish work on the stock and finish work on the metal. So what does everyone think so far.

raw_materials.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
raw_materials.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_0319.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_1251.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
almost_done.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

All of the pictures are the same firearm and of the process from start to present condition of the rifle.

Last edited:
Load development and scope adjustments

This is what it will do with Sierra 300 gr HP at 100 yrds this is just with starting load development and getting the scope dialed in, it did almost as well with the Lee 405 HB just a lower poi. It would be better If I was taking my time and trying for grouping.
300_gr_100yrd.jpg

Last link doesn't work...I guess that's a break action?

McGowen does produce a good barrel, use a lot of them. Given the .45-70 is usually used as a hunting round- I'm curious as to why such a heavy contour?

No it is a falling block, it is a Frank De haas FM No2. Vault lock design.
image.jpg
The reason for the heavy barrel is I plan on shooting long range (1000 + yards) like they did in the sandyhook trials in 1897 (probably only a mile though) with it as well as hunt. It weighs 11lb 6oz without a round in the chamber

Back