My Ruger Speed Six...

ReserveCop

I was wondering if my old Ruger Speed Six (early '80s) can still be used in a heavy duty manner? It is presently in excellent condition.

What I mean is: if I can put 200 to 300 of rounds through it each month (i.e. for fun shooting at my local range) long-term without "trashing" it?

I would use .38's and .38+p's...NO .357's.

I welcome your opinions.

What he said :)

In .38 or .38+P, it'll take you a LONG time to wear out any Ruger .357.

Even if you manage to wear the barrel out, all that is is an excuse to build a "CRuger" - Colt barrel (usually Python) on a Ruger frame :). I've actually seen such halfbreeds...you get Colt accuracy with Ruger toughness :).

But of course, now there's plenty of aftermarket target barrels available that are as good as a Colt part if not better. Same idea though.

Jim

Assuming the revolver is in excellent mechanical condition (and not just excellent cosmetic condition), you will probably be old and gray before your Speed Six even notices 300 .38 Special rounds per month. ;)

your speed six should last forever at only 300 rounds a month. i used to shoot my python (larger frame but my delicate lockwork) in PPC and we use to practice every weekend during the season and were shooting about 600 rounds a season.

before i bought the python, it belonged to a CHP officer and they were qualifying with the original +p+ rounds. our deparmental armourer looked at my gun in the academy and said one chamber was almost out of time.

i continued to shoot that gun with speer 140gr .357 mag loads during throughout my academy and regular qualification
for years after without a problem.

sorry i sorta got off-track, anyway i consider the speed-six a stronger gun then my old python.

According to Wilson's book on Ruger and his guns the reason that they went to the GP-100 was that a steady diet of 125 gr .357 magnum loads ultimately did in the Security Six. Makes me laugh as Ruger used to advertise how much stronger their revolvers were compared to Smiths. If you stay away from hot .357 loads your revolver should outlast you.

According to an interview with Mr. Ruger published in a magazine I have somewhere, the reason they stopped manufacturing the -Six line was because they were too expensive to produce. He claimed that they probably never made a penny on any of them - counting the development costs.

My 16-year-old Police Service-Six has had a regular diet of 125gr. Magnums, Silvertips and even more .38s and is doing fine.

A recent magazine article related how the sales reps. used to tour the country (world?) throwing the guns across the ranges and driving vehicles over them to demonstrate their toughness.

John

What's the difference between the "Service Six" and the "Speed Six"?

Also, why do you think they stopped making the Speed Six...losing money OR quality?

Thanks for your opinions.

the speed-six was roundbutted the service-six was squared.

the gp100 was a more efficent design from the manufacturing standpoint, also stronger for constant practice with full-house .357 ammo

And the Police Service-Six has the fixed sight with the square butt.

According to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, early Security-Sixes were also made with a square butt and fixed sights. This model was later renamed the Police Service-Six and so marked.

Under the listing for the Security-Six:

"Fixed sight guns marked Security-Six and round butt Security-Sixes with adjustable sights are worth a premium."

John

Speed Six

The top strap on my Speed Six (.38 spl) is not nearly as beefy as on my Security Six (.357). The Speed Six is clearly designed for .38 specials even +Ps, but appears thin for hot .357 mags..........Mike

i always thought that the squared-off top-strap of the security-six was mostly cosmetic.

{family resemblance to the blackhawk, blends better with the ruger adjustable rear sight and looks better when you screw in the python barrel}

in absolute terms, more metal should be stronger, but i think the web above the barrel is the point of stress and the service-six is stronger than the smith 19/66 in that area.

makarov - not sure but...bill davis used to do the couger and smolt coversions out here. if i recall correctly, they had to turndown and retread the barrel shank rather than retap the frame...its a very slick conversion, nicer than on a smith :cool:

Back