My Ruger P95 is rusting!! What can I do to stop it?!!

KowHunter

When I first got my Ruger P95 stainless (used but in excellent condition) It had a few very minor rust spots on it... nothing bigger than a period and only about 3-4 spots. Anyway I just thought the previous owner didnt keep it oiled well enough or somthing. Well after getting these spots off by using a copper brush and some CLP.... I thought my problems were over with rust. I keep the gun lightly coated in CLP (wipe it down with a rag before i put it away) and then I keep it in its factory plastic case.

Well, after having it in its case for about 2 weeks... I got it out the other day to go shooting and what do you know... the rust spots are back!!! I know they arent too hard to remove... at least using a copper brush and some CLP seems to do the trick.. but this time there is more rust then when I first got it... its not really bad.. but I need to get it off.

Do any of you have any recomendations on what products to use to get existing rust off and also what to use to KEEP more rust from forming on the gun. For some reason this stainless steel finish rusts worse than any other stainless steel gun ive had. Ive talked to other people about their rugers and they have told me theirs rust too. Anyways... any help would be appreciated.. thanks.

-Tom-

You can try gun grease from Hoppes, also Brownells catalogs some sprays and oils specifically marketed for storage. Here are some ideas:

1. Get bags with volatile rust inbitors coated on the inside, ie Bianchi Blue bags etc.

2. The gun grease.

3. A dessicant pack to remove humidity.

4. Getting the gun hard chromed.

5. Take a look at where your storing this gun. generally, temperature fluctuations promote condensation and the formation of rust.

6. Get some 0000 stainless steel wool and some RB17 and get that oxidation off of the slide for good. There may be some seed rust that you can't see with the naked eye.

Hope this helps!!! Good luck.

It is amazing that you would mention this! I thought I was the only one in the world with this problem! I bought a Ruger P90 with the stainless steel slide over a year ago. I noted immediately after giving the weapon its first cursory cleaning that minute rust spots had formed. I used a copper bore brush and good ole' Hoppe's Number 9 to eliminate the oxidation. After this, I applied oil to a terry cloth towel and wrapped the pistol before storing it.

This is my theory and theories are like opinions but in any event, please bear with me on this one. Because Ruger utilizes the investment casting process, the slides are much more porrous thus explaning the need for such a thick slide. These porrosities encourage moisture accumulation and eventually lead to corrosion if not watched closely.I firmly believe that forged steel is made up of much denser molecules and less prone to oxidation. Another reason could be the ingredients in the "Terrhune Anticorro" mixture Ruger uses. All you can do is be dilligent and keep the rust from pitting.

For the money, a Ruger is still an excellent buy.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

How about a little Rig Gun grease? My friend polished his 10/22 barrel until it was mirror bright, then applied a coat of Rig and buffed it. He did this several times and now, 10 years later, still no rust.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Try a little Flitz, it should help. I had some rust on my SIG barrel, and I used a little Flitz, haven't seen rust since.

I don't know how relevant this is to your case. But at least on external surfaces, I've found car wax to be very effective, much better than oil. Obviously this technique won't work on internal surfaces.

The smart ass or the real? Ok the real. Flitz works great to get rid of it. You might try a product called Sweet Shooter to prevent further damage.

Sweet shot is great stuff.

Here is my recommendations, of what I just learned from another post.

Mobil 1 15w50 motor oil is supposed to be quite good.

I have just purchased some and well keep you posted.

On my Rugers, I use Break Free over the slide and Remington oil for light application when storing. I have had only minor incidents of rust that quickly wiped off.

My opinion is that investment casting is more conducive (spelling sorry) to rust that forging. I am not a metal expert, but I have talked with some metal workers and they agree that investment casting even in stainless will require more effort to prevent rust.

I recommend you apply a light film of oil over the slide before you store you gun. try mobil 1 15w50 it is cheap enough.

Also, in this months American Rifleman was a product for long term sealable storage bags with the moisture absorbing crystals. These bags are for rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

Hope this helps.
Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm - - Judge Blackhawk

O.K AK I'll be the smart ass, throw it away!

J/K. Try a little Flitz, it works for me.

------------------
"Sure Shot"

I use Rig. I put it on real heavy then put my pistol under a 60 watt bulb for about a half hour, or out in a hot car if it is a rifle. Then take a shop towel and wipe it off. I live in FL and carry a P7 for 2 Months no rust at all. I also had it rain on my ruger PC9. Let it dry same thing, no rust. I could go on. The point is since I started doing this rust is just not an issue.I hope this helps.

Best Regards
Sam

I must hve bought the only KP-89 that wont rust! I clean mine with Hoppe's, and spray it down with silicon. Two years, no rust. Reddog

Buy a Glock! :)

Seriously, I would try a product called Metal Seal, or maybe spray some Remington Dri-Lube on it.
Hard chroming might be a good permanent solution, if your willing to spend the bucks.

Move to Arizona!!! :)
Guns don't rust here :) :), no rain or humidity!!
It's a gun friendly state, CCW on a "shall issue" basis, open carry (walk down the street with your gun on your hip if you so choose),and plenty of places to shoot!!! :) :) :). Come on over, we need more gun owners here to balance out all the fruits and nuts comming in from The People's Republic Of California!!!!!!!

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

Whether you decide to use a wax, grease, or oil, first clean the pistol with Gun Scrubber or a similar product. This stuff is very strong, so use it in a well-ventilated area. I usually take my gun parts outside and clean them on the patio. While doing so, I wear rubber gloves that can resist harsh chemicals. Once the pistol's slide has been throughly cleaned of any potential contaminants, treat it with your preferred protective coating while still wearing the gloves in order to reduce the chance of fingerprints leaving any rust-inducing marks.
Also, after handling a firearm with bare hands, always wipe it down with a clean cloth, preferably one treated with a rust inhibitor. Finally, remember that after a few days, more powder residue or other corrosive material may sweat out of the metal. It is a good idea to go back and do a quick once over cleaning to pick up this extra crap.

Back