My Ruger M77 MkII with target pic

LateNightFlight

For years, I've not been particularly proud of my Minute of Deer M77 MKII in 7mm mag, except for its obvious durability. No one ever offered to argue with me about what kind of groups it might be capable of. Today, I have every reason to change my thinking about this gun.

On a good day, two inch groups have been the norm for me with this rifle. It's not had any barrel work. The stock is not bedded. The bolt face hasn't been worked. The trigger is original factory. This gun is an all stock MKII stainless synthetic with 15 years of wear and tear, with rusty little barrel scratches to prove it. (Yep, stainless will rust if neglected enough.)

The only thing that's different today is replacement of a busted scope with a Burris Fullfield II, 4.5-14X, 42mm Obj, and different ammo. The scope is in new Burris medium rings, which for the first time in my life I checked alignment and lapped.

You can call this pic a 2" group if you like, but I knew the shot to the right wasn't going with the rest of them when it went off. I spent just a little too much time on the trigger at the end of my breath and went through with it when I should have pulled off and reset. So, forgiving the pull shot, this is an honest 5/8ths group, center-to-center, at 100yds. I've never shot these rounds before. My local shop gave me these for 20 bucks because it was an open box with a missing round. I figured this would be fine to sight in a new scope. In the end, I'd like to find some more of these; Winchester, 175 grain Power-Points.

l_5df279ea9ddc43fdb8565b7f145b662d.jpg

That's pretty good for a bone stock Ruger.

I just floated my old tang safety Ruger .30-06, which has never been great for accuracy, even after lapping the lugs and tightening the headspace. After simply floating the barrel, I shot my first ever sub-moa group, and I am talking 3 shots overlapping each other.

With a little attention, the Rugers can be become great shooters.

I have the same rifle in 308 and 280 and get similar groups shooting Federal fusion ammo. Get the same flyers occasionaly as well, definately because of the trigger. Have thought about a replacement trigger but even with the flyers it is pretty accurate.

I've got that same scope, and it is truly a nice scope. A lot of glass for the money.

That's awesome.. breathing new life into an old friend. Are you going to start doing allt hose little things to help, like a trigger job?

Well, I've been happy with the set-up as is. I hunt with it and it gets the job done. But this has got me thinking about it. No doubt, a trigger job wouldn't hurt this gun.

I've run into this predicament a couple of times. Not a bad predicament to be in, but it leaves me wondering. For example, I got a Rem 700 SPS varmint as a starting point with an accuracy boost in mind for later. But when it was shooting 5/8ths groups right out of the box, I have to question what my interest are? I mean, how much do I mess with a gun already shooting that well? Maybe these guns are really 1 hole shooters, but 5/8ths is all I can do? :rolleyes:

Maybe I'd be happier with something that shoots 10" groups, where I could shave 9 inches off with accurizing, rather than have an MOA gun and hope to shave off half an inch? Seems like that would be more bang for the buck. Clearly, I'm going to have to sleep on this. :D

You said it all....

when you used different ammo. Something I do with all new rifles is buy 3 or 4 different types of ammo and test them through the gun....trust me....you will find the gun always likes some much better then others!!!

Until you handload, you won't really know what a rifle can do.

I bet it will do better than that with handloads using fire-formed brass.

Congratulations on that fine group.

RUGERS will shoot! I have a 30-06 that loves factory federal, (blue box) (the cheapest rounds to buy) I have shot many 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards. Two modifications: trigger pull and free floated the barrel.
The only dislike I have is the Rugers recoil--they kick too much! (wrong stock design)

Back