My rifle stock was hollow I added lead weights to it is this okay to do?

I have a Savage 111fc in 300 win mag the stock was hollow other than the styrofoam inside I removed the styrofoam and added some tissue paper along with 2 pounds of lead to try and help with some of the recoil but I'm wondering if what I did was okay as I am not sure about synthetic stocks all my guns have wooden stocks. I left enough space in the stock to add a small survival kit.

I am hoping this category is the right one if it isn't can it be moved somehow?

The lead was a couple one or two pound ingots I have, still have 40 pounds of lead left at least

Last edited:

The only thing the lead does is make the rifle heavier, which of course mitigates recoil.

IDK what it'll do to the handling/balance - probably make it butt-heavy.

With most rifles I've added lead to for others, I distributed some of the weight into bbl channel/forend recess' I made, or were already there.

There's is nothing wrong with lead in your butt, however I would pad it with more than tissue to keep it in one place and not bouncing around.

Take the lead out and buy a better recoil pad. It won't hurt anything, but there are much better ways to reduce recoil than lugging around a rifle nearly 30% heavier than needed. Limbsaver and a couple of others will get your recoil down to 30-06 or 308 levels and keep the weight manageable.

this is a common practice. synthetic stocks are nice and light but when paired with a magnum cartridge the recoil can get nasty. adding lead shot to the stock gives more weight to absorb the recoil, but of course you already knew that, either that or I'm missing another reason for dumping lead shot down the stock :D

No, it's not a good idea. You need to remove the lead immediately and mail it to me . . . so I can melt it down for casting bullets. :D

A lot of folks have done this with synthetic and light weight stocks . . . if the rifle balances well for you and you don't find it an issue, no harm no foul. :)

The High Power shooters can even buy weights molded to fit in the butt trap and under the handguards of an AR.

I have lead in the butt, magazine well, and in grooves under the barrel channel of my F-T/R to bring it closer to the weight limit of 17 lbs.

My BPCR coach has those mercury "recoil reducers" in the buttstocks of his Sharps rifles.

Secure the lead w/ something better than tissue. Bedding compound would be best, but for a cheaper / easier fix you can fill the voids w/ expanding foam (product used to seal around pipes / wires in subfloor).

If you decide you need some of that weight up front, cast the lead thinner / longer and set in bedding compound in the forearm.

I have the same (or maybe similar) rifle that I use strictly as a hunting rifle and I don't have an issue with recoil, but I shoot 165gr bullets and usually no more than a handful of shots at a time to check zero. If you're using this more for target practice, I would be looking for a way to tame it as well.

No, it's not a good idea. You need to remove the lead immediately and mail it to me . . . so I can melt it down for casting bullets.

+1

Don't waist precious lead! Use something worthless like pieces of steel plate, silver or gold! Not something valuable like lead!

Boomer

Back