My Remington 700 won't hold a group

bambam1723

I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .223. I have a Bushnell Banner 4-12x mounted on it with a Leupold Base and Leupold Dove Tail Rings. When I first got the scope I mounted it and it was shooting great and holding 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I had replace my original rings and get higher rings to get the bolt to clear my scope flip up covers and now I can't hold a group within 3-6 inches at 100 yards.

What should I do?

I assume just take the scope, base and rings off and remount them. I assume something is loose causing the scope to jostle during shooting.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences like this?

This is my groundhog rifle, and is really frustrating. I try to adjust the scope, but the adjustments don't take.

HELP!!!

Higher mounts changed your cheek weld. Your head is higher on the stock and you might not be getting a good weld. I would check your shooting position first before replacing the scope. Try the free things first: cheek weld, recheck the screws, reset the mounts.

1. It's the scope. Try re mounting it and see I the cross hairs are moving on you.

2. It's your rifle. Some times you just get a dud gun. Call up Remington and see what they can do for you.

3. It's just you. Might wanna practice you'll get there haha :P

It sounds as if the new rings are putting uneven stress on your scope tube. One ring may be slightly higher than the other.

What I would do is remove the scope covers, replace the original rings, mount your scope, and shoot it to be sure the scope is ok. If it shoots the smaller groups again, then your new rings are the problem. Either lap the new rings, or replace them with the Burris Signature rings with the polymer inserts so there the scope tube is stress free.

A lot of people are quick to blame the rifle/scope when groups aren't holding up to expectations. I myself have done it. Let's put together what we have. Your rifle was holding a minuted of angle. You changed your rings. You are mounted higher. Now your rifle is shooting 3" groups. I have a tough time believing that now your scope is busted from the time you pulled it off to mounting it again (though it is possible). Did you properly turn your ring screws 1/4-1/2" at a time all the way around for an even snug? Are the screws all tight? If your ring screws aren't properly tightened down your POI can easily change leaving your groups rather large and that would have nothing to do with the rifle or scopes capabilities. What kind of base do you have? One piece? Two piece? Did you adjust them?

Take your rings off. Take your base off. Tighten everything down properly from the base up and give it another try.

start over

Ditto above.
Take it apart, put it back together, and try it again.
The good news is you know your rifle can hit properly. I might consider returning to my original set up and sanding the cover where the bolt hits it so it is clear. I would never trade scope hight for cover issues, it is too tough to get that mount to a point where you are happy with it.

Take a step back, clear your emotions, and get scientific.
Glad to hear you got a good rifle.
Good luck.

[quote/]Did you properly turn your ring screws 1/4-1/2" at a time all the way around for an even snug?
No I did not. I have never heard that before, but it makes sense to me. I will definitely do that when I put it all back on.

The base is a 1 piece.

As far as the ring height. The bolt was actually almost touching the scope without the covers on. So, they needed more height anyways.

I'm gonna break her down and put her back together again and I'll go from there.

First rule in troubleshooting.....

Something was working and now isn't. What changed?

I would follow the track your on. Looking at mounting issues then rings.

That reads like one nice setup...:)

Ok look up some scope mounting videos on you tube from midway USA or
CS Tactical. Its really important you screw them down evenly and properly..
There are several steps to mounting scopes as close to perfect as you can
get. If your scope is looking left you'll shoot left as simple as that.

Take all you stuff off mount rings and start all over.

Do 1/4 turns from corner to corner. top left to bottom right. ect ect.
Look up CSTactical how to mount a scope video and it has all you'll need
on mounting it properly.

GL.

I was a firm believer in Leupold rings(The name). Since then I use Warne exclusively. You have a gun worthy of a proper set of mounts. 80 bucks and your problem will be solved given the info you have given. Super strong,no alignment issues and they look great. You will know if your scope is the problem if you decide to switch.
I have switched out all my leupold standard bases and rings.They are all sacked up in my junk drawer.
Hope things turn out......................

Back