My Python finally arrived!

Monkeyleg

After a couple of months of searching, I finally took delivery on a 6" nickel model. I wanted a shooter, and this one's been fired a bit, but it's in excellent condition. Beautiful trigger. The one thing that's bugging me is that there's a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the backstrap and the wood grips. Seems like a hand-made gun shouldn't have a gap like that. But, the dealer who did the transfer for me has a set of original rosewood medallion grips for it that he's willing to part with for $75.

What a beauty.

Dick

Dick,

Congrats on the new arrival, I sure hope you have fun with it. I just bought 500 rounds of 357 at the gun show for mine today as I was getting low. You'll have to let us know how the first range visit goes.

Snake

Congrats on your purchase!

I have a 1970's vintage Python with the Colt Royal Blue finish, 6 inch bbl. Absolutely gorgeous. It too has a gap between the original stocks and the bottom of the backstrap. Looking closer I noticed that the backstrap is slightly rounded which gives the effect of a gap. Ain't necessarily so. Gap does not pass all the way thru to the front strap.

Again, congrats and good shooting.

Cleaning no-no

Don't use Hoppes No. 9 or any other ammonia based cleaner on that nickel plated gun, or it won't be so pretty.

Jim

Congrats! :)

I think the gap is normal--at least, my Pythons have a gap that sounds just like it. So, personally, I'd stick with the original grips and save the extra $$. :)

Jim Keenan, Hoppes has been a staple for my cleaning regimen for as long as I can remember. But, I've never had a nickel gun before. What's a good solvent for nickel guns? I see on the Hoppes label a warning about plated surfaces, so i assume their product is not appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Dick

Actually it isn't just ammonia based cleaners. Avoid ANYTHING that is a copper remover. Most nickel guns have an underplate of copper (nickel won't normally plate directly to steel). Since most nickel finishes are a bit porous (at a microscopic level) leaving these cleaners on the surface can cause the plating to peel off when it dissolves the undercoat. You can actually use Hoppes, or others, but make sure it is wiped OFF the outside completely and then use a good lube over that. (normally Hoppes and such are BORE cleaners anyway, not for the outside of the gun).

I use "the dreaded" WD40 as a bore solvent in my nickle plated guns. Works fine. Just keep the WD out of the action. Brass screens take care of any leading. I used to use Hoppes on nickle, never had a problem, but then I never let it set up for long.

Congratulations--When can we see your new baby?

I have (and carry) a nickeled Colt .380. I don't use Hoppe's on the nickel anymore, although I never had a problem with brief exposure. Wipe it off with CLP (or Mobil One) and use Flitz on it every year or two when the finish gets dull. The inside finish of a leather holster can transfer color to the nickel, which should be wiped off with CLP.

Have safe and be fun.

I do want to get a photo of it, but I'm going to wait until that dealer finds those rosewood grips. Yeah, I know $75 is a lot of dough, but these are original checkered with the medallions. I laid the rosewood grips from one of my Kimbers next to the Python and the decision was instantaneous.

Dick

Back