my problem

tahoe2

my problem is I am enamored by old, but completely function-able cartridges, like the 30-30 Winchester, 300 Savage, 30-06, 7x57, 7.65x53, and 8x57 mausers,
I do have a 375 Winchester (38-55 on steroids) and a 280 Rem and a 41 mag revolver, those are the newest developments I own.
I have used the 280 on Wyoming Pronghorns and the 8mm on deer, I got the 375 and the 41 for "Tight Timber" Black bears, yet to get one of those,
but I believe any of those cartridges listed above would handle just about anything I will ever hunt.
Not really a magnum guy, but if I did, I would take a 30 Super (300 H&H).
Anybody else like good old cartridges with good old ballistics? :D

First, I don't think you truly believe you have any manner of a "problem."
Second, I can't imagine anyone else here would think that you do, either.

Third... and hate to break it to ya... :p but some of the most popular stuff in this country AND this planet is old, old, OLD also.

9mm must easily be THE single most popular center fire cartridge on the planet. It arrived on the scene in 1902.

.45 Auto--1904.
.38 Special? 1898!

Even the "young buck" .357 Magnum has been with us since 1934!

Yep - been "there" for a long time: .250 & .300 Savage's, multiple -06's & .30-30's, .35 Rem's, 6.5x55's, .32 Special, .22 Hornet's, etc, etc, etc.

For me, it's more about the gun, than the chambering; but when both come together, it's pure enjoyment. :p

gyvel +1 ^^^^

It wouldn't surprise me one bit , with a well placed shot it's a very potent caliber especially if you use a 200gn+ cast bullet.

Surprisingly, the 8mm Lebel, THE oldest smokeless cartridge on earth put out a 180gr bullet at 2640 fps, as loaded by Remington. To me, that's pretty good ballistics.

I don't see what the issue is.

My favorite rifle cartirdge is .300 Savage.

I count the .32-20 and .25-20 among my favorites, as well.

.300 Savage has been a fav of mine as well. I have three rifles chambered for it: A Savage 99, a Remington 81 and a Remington 722.

Well, my favorites are 7X57, 30-30, 8X57, and 22-250, so I guess I qualify as "having a problem". Several people I know would agree, but they would disagree on exactly what my problem is, so I won't ask them to vouch for me.

Not really a magnum guy, but if I did, I would take a 30 Super (300 H&H).
Anybody else like good old cartridges with good old ballistics?
I suffered through "Magnumitis" for several years. I still have my custom Remington 700 in 7MM Remington Magnum, and use it if I hunt one field on the farm where there is the possibility of a 300+ yard shot. But most often I'm in a woods stand holding either a T/C Contender in 35 Remington, or a Winchester Ranger 94 in 30/30.
Kinda getting the urge for a "classic" Magnus. In particular, a 300 H&H.:D

I shoot and reload a host of calibers and the clear majority of them are OLD ... most not even available unless you reload. They sure ain't fancy ... but by gum, they sure do the job!:D

I would guess that the most common cartridge in the world is the .22. While the .22 Long Rifle dates ONLY to the 1880's, the .22 Short, little different from what it is today, dates to 1857.

Jim

I killed my blackbear with a 6.5 jap carbine. I will likely use a 6.5 jap for bear this spring. I might use 6.5 swede for deer this year. Then ill mess everything up by packing 6.5 grendel and 300 wby mag for elk

For me a 30-30 when fired from an 1894 Winchester or a 38 Special from a K38 or both on the same day makes a perfect day.
I think 30-30 and 38special dies still outsell all others, old or not.

".300 Savage has been a fav of mine as well. I have three rifles chambered for it: A Savage 99, a Remington 81 and a Remington 722."

That's the exact same loadout I have, except that I have two 722s.

"Mike, I ride the 32-20 train also,, wonderful walking around in the woods caliber"

Right now I only reload .32-20 for revolvers (I have a Colt & an S&W). I'm looking for a Remington Model 25 in .32-20, but so far bupkis.

".300 Savage has been a fav of mine as well. I have three rifles chambered for it: A Savage 99, a Remington 81 and a Remington 722."

+1 Mike, I have been a 300Sav fan for years. Still have a 99 & Rem 81, I shoot regularly & reload often.

Back