My old Argentine Mauser

meatgrinder42

I have this 1891 Argentine Mauser that's been sporterized. The barrel has been cut down -4 inches I'd say. The stock was taken down with it 6 inches behind the step in the barrel. There is a different front sight on it and even with all this... I love it to death. I would like to turn it into a better hunting rifle and a more handsome rifle then it already is by adding a scope to it, refinishing it and either replacing the stock or refinishing the one on it. (Wood is very dark and very nice but heavily used) My only fear is I would make it too nice and have to go get a new hunting rifle.

Thoughts? And has anyone ever put a scope on one of these to say how study the bases are? (for a scout scope mounting)

Last edited:
Pics

The rifle.

Reason I want to refinish the stock... I think the grain will look amazing.
IMAG0032.jpg

The only way to keep it from becoming a money pit (i.e., costing more than a new commercial rifle) would be to buy a $50 B-Square "no-gunsmithing" scope mount that utilizes that military rear barrel sight as a base, and a long eye relief or Scout scope.

The B-Square rig works well.

Barring that, the front/rear receiver rings would have to be drilled/tapped for scope mounts, the bolt handle altered to clear the installed scope when operated, and the safety likewise altered or replaced with a commercial trigger/side safety combo.

If you're unable to do those jobs yourself, then farming them out to a gunsmith will start digging the above mentioned money pit - but it's your gun/your money.

Have fun, either way.

Keep it simple

Strip and sand the stock and use linseed oil to bring out the natural grain of the stock.
Maybe add a recoil pad.

I think the scout scope idea is the way to go. It's reversible, and doesn't require drilling or mods of the bolt/safety.

And get sling swivels.

If desired, you could also re-blue or duracoat the metal, but for a working rifle, it's not really needed

Last edited:
The 1891 is a beautiful rifle. Machine work on them was well done if you notice. The action is very smooth and is a pleasure to operate. Getting the receiver drilled and tapped isnt a problem and weaver makes rings for it. You will have to have the bolt handle bent, but better yet is to have a new one put on (original is a bit short for bending and clearance.

You will also want to reload. 7.65 ammo is available through Norma, but is a bit costly. Before you start, be sure to have the headspace checked and slug the bore. Off the top of my head, it should be .311 bore.

It will make a nice hunter and power is between the 06 and 30-40 Krag.

Back