My Newest Gun for Fun

tex45acp

Today I picked up the first Smith & Wesson revolver I have owned in over 30 years. it is the Model 617 in .22LR. I really like that it holds 10 rounds, which is the same as my .22 Semi Auto. The guns frame is similar in size as the Model 686 in .357mag. It has a heavy barrel and full length underlug which pretty much eliminates any muzzle rise. I had read some folks were having problems with them not firing consistently and having the cylinder bind up as well as trouble getting the empty cases to eject. I was not able to make it to the range, but a buddy of mine has a 300 acre field plowed up and there are plenty of dirt clods. I put 40 rounds through it without a hiccup so I am happy. The sights were dead on at 15yards, right out of the box. I am going to change out the front sight for a fiber optic model to help my old eyes. The black on black doesn't work for me. Single action trigger is about 3-4lbs and the double action trigger is about twice that, but very smooth. It will be a great companion gun for my Ruger 10/22 when hunting cottontails and bushytails here in Texas.
(edited)_S&W_617(1).JPG

You should have lots of fun with that!!! I probably have more shooting fun with my .22 pistols/revolvers than my other guns.

You will enjoy that thing. I absolutely love shooting mine, HATE cleaning it! I put a nikon reflex sight and a set of combat stocks on it and i have to say it shoots lights out. I haven’t noticed sticky chambers like some model 17’s are plagued with

Finally got it to the range yesterday and after the 30 rounds I shot on Monday and the 30 rounds I shot yesterday I did notice it was a little harder to eject the 10 empty cases. I also noticed the DA pull got a lot grittier. I plan to disassemble the gun this weekend and polish all the metal to metal parts, give it a good cleaning, re-lube and see if that helps the round count increase before fouling affects it that much.
SW617TARAM.JPG

Shooting .22 ammo through a revolver reminds one just how dirty .22 can be. Also a reminder as to how remarkable a Ruger mark III 22/45 is that it can go so long between cleaning!

I have a Browning Buck Mark Target that is the same way. When I go to my gun clubs shoots, it's not uncommon to put 250 - 300 rounds through the gun before I notice it starting to have malfunctions, so having the revolver start to feel different in less than 100 rounds is strange to me. I like having a "tight tolerance gun" but I hope some of the action loosens up with time and use.

Very nice, tex45acp. I recently obtained one just like yours, and it's just great. I've dry fired it alot, and the DA is getting better and better. Maybe try other ammo to see if cases extract easier?

SWEET and AWESOME !

For an " older " dude you did just fine with those open sights ...Keep On Keeping On .
Gary
I'm " elder" myself.

Back