My newest completed Project M44 Mosin Scout

UpandAtIt

Just completed my Mosin M44 Scout Project. It started with a nice M44 Izhevsk in 7.62x54r. I added a BSA Edge 2-7x28 long eye reliefe scope, had the barrel lapped and counter bored, the action lapped, added a nice butt recoil pad rather than the metal butt plate. The stock has been glassed and dyed the same color as the stock on the inner portions of the stock and cannot be seen unless taken apart.

At the range, fantastic performance, 100 yards I can keep a 2" group at rest and offhand an easy 4-5 Inch group in rapid fire. I get my best with Norma Ammo, but Mil-Surp ammo gives acceptable performance for a scout rifle.

mosin441.jpg

mosin442.jpg

mosin443.jpg

mosin444.jpg

izhevsk

good job

Well done. I've always thought the x54r carbines would be a good base for a scout rifle, w/ not a lot of cash either.

Was the mount a B-square??

Yes a B square mount and was about an hours time to make sure it fit perfect. I just ordered a sling, fold back bi-pod that fits where the bayonet goes, muzzle break and butt stock held ammo pouch (holds 4 5 round stripper clips) that will match the age and intent. The scope also has quick release caps that are not shown and just the elastic caps are shown.

Costs of the build:

M44 - $103.00 via my C&R from Gun Broker (was very dirty with dark bore, no pitts)
Linspeed military stock refinish - $16
Gramstead stock bedding kit - $20
BSA Scope - $60
B-Square Mount - $17
Gun smith barrel lap, bolt lap and muzzle counter bore (super smooth like glass) $35 - Accurate Systems Inc.
Trigger job - $20 (set at about 7.5 pounds) Accurate Systems Inc
accessories (sling, pouch, bipod, strippers)- Cheaper than dirt - $22

I found a sealed case of 880 rounds (2 tins) of very good and clean mil-surp ammo for $173.00 with free S&H

This all equates into a good, sturdy and fast handling scout rifle for approx $260 and could have been cheaper without the bore, bolt, stock and trigger jobs but I really felt the minor costs were worth it to have such a smooth action and trigger as well as very good accuracy.

This rifle is ready for just about anything out to 200 yards or so.

I have really been contemplating that new drop in .22lr or .22mag conversion kit by "Oh what a Country" supply company (ads in Shotgun News.) I have not read any reviews yet, but if it works, the $75 cost could pay for itself in practice with .22lr and in .22 mag would be a good varmit plinker in the back woods. The kit fits both the 91/30 and M44/38 and I am sure it would fit the /59, no reason for it not to.

All in all, I am very pleased with how the project came along, the outcome and the accuracy is highly acceptable. Was fun taking an old and tired war horse and making it into a viable shooter again.

Very nice, UpandAtIt.

I have an M44 I picked up a bout 1-2 years ago that I've recently been thinking of turning into a scout rifle. Found a few nice long-relief scopes at decent price (2-10x) and have been thinking about the rubber but plate as well.

As for the butplate, how do you like it? I was thinking to add it just to lengthen the stock an extra inch or so, since the M44 is a bit short for me by its nature. I really like the looks of the stock metal, though, so haven't decided. For the $12 I found the rubber replacement for, though, I figure I will try it out.

Again, nice gun! Now I really want to get mine done...

I was a lil iffy on the rubber butt plate, but when I used this one, shooting the M44 is like a dream now. It honestly made a huge difference when shooting full power Mil-Surp, with the rubber butt plate, it feels much like an AR15 and w/o it and using the steel plate, I always felt I was kicked by a mule.

The other thing I have found is the Chk Training Ammo, great stuff for plinking, kids, women to shoot. They are 44.8gr hollow core with a white tip and have a corrosive primer. They have a Bi-Metal case. At short ranges 25 to 100 yards they hold some good numbers for ballistics but farther out they really lose lots of energy. The factory code is BXN and were made in 1964. I have used them for close in rabbit and raccoon hunting and work well for that role. They have been normally cheaper than full power mil-surp by about half the cost so there is a savings to use them when training.

I have also now added a Mosin Muzzle break that works with the baynet and I was again surprised just how much of the aggressive muzzle blast it takes away, well worth the $15 if you can find one.

One other suggestion I would make is get the Wolff titainium firing pin spring. It truly cuts down on pierced primers (even with well gaged firing pin protrusion) as well as increases the lock time a lil allowing for better follow through and accuraccy.

I have both a turned down bolt and the reg bolt, both lapped to this rifle. I honestly prefer the reg bolt, it is in a handy position for fast fire practice, the only reason I could see to have one is to clear a reg mounted scope, I do not see any other advantages to installing one other than that.

One thing I would like to see is an extended magazine well, but I doubt anyone is going to develope that for such a low cost rifle.

I can honestly say, I have never been happier with a project as I have this Mosin M44. I rec anyone to get one and tinker with it a lil.... WARNING though... the trigger job should be left to a pro as it requires adding shims and shortening the spring.

wow they allow a M44 in UK... I am amazed and happy.

I used the Tapco Butt Plate but I believe any rubber butt plate would serve the same purpose so go for price and not make.

The upgrades I did were easy and simple and vastly improved shooting the M44, I am betting the same mods can be done to a 90/31 and /59 and make them more enjoyable to shoot.

Money for Money.....The Mosin is the best deal out there for a viable rifle and the accessories available are growing each day.

No, it is not as accurate as my K31 Scout but it is half the price and just as durable.

I am in the process of making a 1903A3 scout from scattered parts, I am not destroying a whole rifle to do it, but saving parts from all over the place from certain death and am building it on a demilled parade rifle that I am making active. It will look a lot like a Gibbs rifle just shorter and with a long eye reliefe scope rather than the sniper scope.

My project of a Savage 23a in .17 Mach II made from scattered parts and the bore relined to the .17 mach II is almost done, this will also be a scout type rifle but in rimfire.

I have plans to make a super beat and rusted Winchester 94 into a 30-30 shorty (but legal length) saddle scout rifle that will even have a hip holster for it. The forward 1/3 of the barrel was in a boat with water and the 1/3 is super rusted and pitted (way not recoverable) some people call the shorty version a "Mares Leg."

I really like to rescue beat and dirty pieces and make them into something usable. It takes up time and keeps me out of trouble. :D

British shooters

We're a persecuted minority, but we are hanging in there. Being a shooter in this country is not something you mention in polite society. It's almost like being in the closet.
Repeating rifles, (not pump action centrefire) are allowed, and shotguns of various descriptions. No pistols, revolvers or self loading centre fire rifles.
I bought my M.44 a couple of years ago and haven't shot it that much. The first outing with it was at 100 yards and a friend and his 18 year old son were there.
Me and my mate managed to get 5 shot 3 inch groups, which were at 9 o'clock about 4 inches left. My mates lad is a skinny six footer who weighs about 160 pounds soaking wet, but he has been properly brought up and knows how to hold a rifle. He put 5 into 2 inches (younger eyes) at the same location. Then my mate said "What's it like with the bayonet extended?" The boy swung the spike out and lo, the next 2 inch group was dead on.
People knock the Mosins, but you could do worse.

Sounds great, UpandAtIt. I'm glad to hear the accessories, which are rather cheap I might add, can improve the gun so much. I will definately have to include the rubber buttplate if it makes that much difference in the recoil absorption; I just wanted it to add a little length on the stock.

I'm also a bit interested in the muzzel break you mentioned. I found one for about $14 that will fit, but will render the bayonet useless. Since I don't care about the bayonett (though it does look cool!) I thought about just taking it off, but am interested in a break that still allows it on the gun. Do you have to permenantly fix the bayonet? I imagine it would be hard to add a break which would still allow the bayonet to fold as designed. What break did you use?

As for the bolt-handle, I actually quite like the standard design, too, maybe for nothing other than being a bit unique among bolt-actions. I never found it to be problematic, and have no intention on mounting a rear scope, so have no plans as of now to get a modified handle. I'm glad to hear someone who has used both speak favorably of the original fashion.

Well, this about does it for me. Time to get off my lazy butt and get to work on it. I'll be ordering my parts by weeks end and hopefully sighting in my newly-stylized rifle next weekend. I'll have to look around a bit more for better deals, but I found some nice accessories on CombatHunting.com

How is the B square mount holding up?
I have a 91/30 that I want to add a LER Scope to, just can't make up my mind on the scope mount. Was tempted earlier this year to spend $75 on one, just couldn't bring myself to spend that on a $100 rifle. But, for $17 I would consider it.

The B square has held up well, but really depends on how you install it. If you take your time and do all the steps necessary, it is a very viable mount. I have over 500 rounds with the mount installed ZERO problems. I found mine at a gun show sitting in a box of parts and it cost $17 and was complete in the package.

I also found this set on GB.... scout mount, rings and scope for $50 + S&H

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168868516

Here is a 1 inch extension butt plate on GB.... $9

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168057926

Mosin Naggy TRAINER .22lr rifle Polish - there is a reserve so I do not know how much

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=169054513

There are a lot of decent deals still left on Naggys in GB as well as parts, ammo and accessories, just type in Mosin and you get 17 pages of stuff.

You should try it out for deer hunting. My first deer rifle was one of those old hex receivers with the long barrel. I bought it through the mail, cheapest bolt they had. I was so happy I would not have to use the old single shot 12 and had a real deer gun. Then I found out a box of ammo cost almost what I paid for the gun! That was back when there were no Russian or China imports. I did get a deer with it the first year, but I must have looked funny, gun as long as I was tall. I still have it, been in the closet for years. You guys talking about them might make me get it out and go to the range with it.

That is why I chose the M44, nice, short, powerful and accurate for minimal $$$. Ammo now can be had for $175 for 880 round two tin case. I see a lot of winchester and norma ammo on GB for about $20 a box, not bad compared to other ammo prices. The 44 grain training rounds are about 50 cents each and well worth the purchase.

Fantastic deal

Royal Tiger Imports www.royaltigerimports.com has 91/30's round receiver for $69.00 in excellent re-arsenaled condition with accessories.. I bought two and one was arsenal reconditioned but really nice the other was NEW never issued in cosmoline and wax paper wrap. They even have a buy 20 rifles for $59.95 each :D

This is the best deal I have found anywhere.

If you have an C&R this is a plus plus deal for you, no FFL trans fees..

Royal Tirger Imports
Indian Trail, NC 28079
888-968-4437

Back