My new Tanfoglio Stock Master

wild cat mccane

Hey TFL friends,

In the last little bit I’ve picked up my first metal frames; Walther Q5, Sig P226 Elite, Shadow 2, Shadow 2 SAO, and now a Tanfoglio Stock Master.

So…

When I picked up the Stock Master, the FFL store let slip that they all were playing with it. Guy said, “yeah we had a hard time opening the IFG box (it’s push in two tabs while moving up) but when we did, we all loved the feel and look….not that we played with it!”

That wasn’t mentioned for any gun I’ve picked up. It just looks good. The hard chrome is perfect. The wood grips look good with wood grain. The sights look smart. Skeletonized slide looks good. The barrel looks like a tank.

“If it doesn’t move, chrome it!” I’ve heard before. Here the slide moves exceptionally well. Good or not, the slide floats in feel vs the hard pull back with the CZ that just moves to the end because of the first hard pull. Very different feeling. No comment on performance, but the Tanfo slide moves smoother than my two Shadow 2.

Tanfoglio comes with a bull cone barrel with bushing. So positive Tanfo. CZ comes with anti glare channels on the slide—that seems to be done with by Walther with the PDP, but I really like those. So negative for Tanfo for not having those.

The only other negative against it is the slide release is too forward compared to the Shadow.

Where the Tanfo is much better than the CZ is the grip. I wrote in my original review of the Shadow 2 and P226 Elite which I picked up at the same time, that thought the E2 grip and Shadow 2 are exactly the same shape, the Shadow 2 is too narrow at the knuckle of the hand. It leaves you feeling liking you can’t torque down at the center of your grip. Others agreed. The Tanfo grip does not slim here. With my small hands it perfectly filled my grip but was just as slim as the CZ. Major difference here in grip, while both being the same.

Firing pin block in the Tanfo but not in the CZ. The Tanfo does stack in the DA at the end. Otherwise, the reset and pulls feel the same. If someone measured them differently, that’s fine. But the hand isn’t feeling it. Both are crisp with a not quite Sig SRT lightening reset, but “really good.” Again, the reset on the Shadow 2 isn't amazing either--Sig SRT is a LOT shorter.

Didn't take it directly to the range. I know. The most important part.

I would say that the hard chrome is a benefit. I think the Shadow 2 is an exceptional price point right now ($922). I think they are too similar for one just to be the obvious winner. The hard chrome looks great and will wear better than the poly. Does that matter, probably not. But it does make the gun just look better.

It's a really nice-looking gun that I’m not seeing or feeling negatives that the Shadow 2 clearly wins out. That’s great for both guns.

Take care

Zero time spend on pics;
QQwJMEel.jpg

2MYeVpUl.jpg

QBcZRLXl.jpg

7pcZZkcl.jpg

I thought there was, but bull cone means none right? Haven't taken it down and thought i saw a skeeve...but nope, ye'r right. Not one.

I kinda like square on big. Rounded to me looks out of place. But hot topic for personal pref for sure :)

Got one of these a year ago. Ammo is no problem, it takes everything without a jam in sight. Had Patriot Defense do the SA
only on it and it is my best bullseye gun by far. Fantastic trigger,
beats my 97E and my Les Baer in terms of use and feed, plus
the trigger, and the LB has a KC Crawford roll trigger. Not equal to the Tan. I bought another for backup. I have not done a Ransom rest accuracy test, which I hope to get done this year. If that is as good as the rest, I will be selling the rest.
One more thing: today I was testing some SWC handholds to see which the 97E and the Tan would be happy with. The Tan ran all without a hitch, the 97E choked on half of them.
The 97E is a CZ97 that has had the cajun gun works complete package on it

Wowzer! Here is to hoping mine is that sharp on paper.

I do give cz credit. The parts are a fourth.

That said, nothing on this SM feels less than cz. I was expecting a few budget items or areas. None so far.

Yep, CZ originated it, and of course the Tan sells for about 2x
the CZ. I think it is a better pistol, although the conversion to
SA on the Tan was a game changer, will do the same to the CZ
and see how that works.

Hard chrome vs. spray-on poly finish…I wonder which is cheaper (sarcasm).
I prefer squared trigger guards but that’s subjective. I have a couple of 97B’s and two Shadow 2’s but Tanfoglio Stocks are sharper looking guns IMO.

Sorry. Yes. Tanfoglio's box is even more complicated to open than the CZ box, with both being complicated with two actions of pushing in while pulling something. EAA has dropped out as the importer of everything Tanfoglio in the Defiant series (Defiant is the new line from their "Witness" line) to "IFG" being 100% importer...I think. EAA still exists though.

This one is easier than a CZ to rack for sure. Love it or leave it, the cut outs are deep up front and no problem. The "memory" bumps at the back look painful but work perfect and are not sharp or too much in a fast rack. I was on the fence for those being kinda silly looking. In person, they are kinda handsome looking. Possibly in years to come it will look dated, but maybe not because they seem to work better than straight cuts down. I think the large texture difference makes this work better than lines for sure.

Interestingly, if you buy a CZ Shadow 2 OR, there are no serrations at the back at all. The removed them. Fine I guess if you are running an optic, but if you just want the OR version for yourself without, that's a bit of step back. When I bought my S2, I almost bought the OR version to "future proof" but would have been bummed to get a flat rear slide.

Sorry. Yes. Tanfoglio's box is even more complicated to open than the CZ box, with both being complicated with two actions of pushing in while pulling something. EAA has dropped out as the importer of everything Tanfoglio in the Defiant series (Defiant is the new line from their "Witness" line) to "IFG" being 100% importer...I think. EAA still exists though.

This one is easier than a CZ to rack for sure. Love it or leave it, the cut outs are deep up front and no problem. The "memory" bumps at the back look painful but work perfect and are not sharp or too much in a fast rack. I was on the fence for those being kinda silly looking. In person, they are kinda handsome looking. Possibly in years to come it will look dated, but maybe not because they seem to work better than straight cuts down. I think the large texture difference makes this work better than lines for sure.

Interestingly, if you buy a CZ Shadow 2 OR, there are no serrations at the back at all. The removed them. Fine I guess if you are running an optic, but if you just want the OR version for yourself without, that's a bit of step back. When I bought my S2, I almost bought the OR version to "future proof" but would have been bummed to get a flat rear slide.
Thanks WCM, good info.

I have the original Tanfoglio Stock in 10mm. One of my favorite guns to shoot. Reliable and very accurate. The hard-chrome finish is far more scratch resistant than bare stainless.

Back