My New Stainless Tomcat

Grapeshot

Well finally got it today and put 40 rounds through it.
When they say "Widebody" they mean it! The gun's slide is the only "wide" part, and I'd guess it's at least as wide as my Colt .45's.

But for some reason, this mini-auto just "points" in my hand. Ergonomics seemed perfect, with my thumb easily able to snick off the safety.

Fit and finish seem great except for a couple of moderately sharp edges, one of them being on the rear of the safety.

Trigger movement is better than I expected, with the double action being very smooth and sweet, breaking a little earlier than the single action does. SA is a little on the heavy side and has a little creep before it goes, but when it does it's very crisp. Of these two characteristics, the creepiness bothered me the most.

But neither seemed to hinder the outstanding offhand and benchrest accuracy of this little pistol.

Oh, by the way, one criticism about the gun that everybody has is that the trigger (SA) must be darn near touching the frame before it breaks. I am absolutely in agreeance with this criticism, the darn thing needs a trigger stop or something. However, I found that this was easily overcome with technique (pressing the trigger with my fingertip, no big deal).

Sights are low and cramped, but usable, the rear amounting to a driftable blue notch and the front left shiny and stainless. I immediately blacked the front one out with a magic marker for target purposes. The gun shot 6" to the left, but the rear sight was easily drifted to a perfect point of aim - that is, I aimed right below an orange bullseye, and that's exactly where my bullets were hitting.

There were no malfunctions of any kind throughout the 40 rounds of shooting. I used UMC ball and CCI Blazer ball, since the HP's I ordered haven't arrived yet. Interestingly, the extra mag. I bought would not fall free from the gun at the beginning of the shoot, but at the end would fall just like it was supposed to when the mag. release was pressed.

Recoil was surprising for such a heavy pistol. It was every bit as sharp as my alloy-framed .38 with hot loads. However, there wasn't the near-uncontrollable muzzle flip that my .38 has; the .32 seemed to kick straight back into the web of my hand. I felt I could shoot it very fast if necessary. What may have made the recoil so painful may have been the slide possibly scraping the web of my hand, or perhaps it was the sharp little safety coming back so hard. Whatever the cause, it was very minor and more an annoyance than anything. But I was sure ready to quit after 40 rounds.

I was also surpised at how loud the .32 is.

Ejection was interesting. I tried to catch the brass in a hand-mounted brass catcher bag, but it seemed to go in every direction, so I quit. Probably won't be reloading for this gun, which is ok, since accuracy with ball was outstanding.

Offhand accuracy was impressive enough that I benched it at 30 feet just to see what I'd get. Worst groups were about 2.5 inches, and my best one was a 2 incher with the CCI ball, 3 going into one ragged hole and the 4th opening the group up. Oddly, I think I could do much better than this but both my hand and eyes were getting tired, so I'll try again soon.

Despite some of the quirks of the gun, I really like it. I'm thinking it will be reliable enough to bet my life on based on what I've seen, and it seems more accurate and shootable than my alloy .38.

Oh, and the tip-up barrel is a great idea. More later.

Thanks for the report. I've been looking at a Tomcat at the local gunshop for what seems like weeks, trying to make up my mind about it.

I'm curious why the pistol ejects in every direction. But I guess the main thing is there were no failures to eject.

Good for you, sir. My Tomcat took a couple hundred rnds to smooth out, but has been fine ever since. My only ongoing complaint is that it is prone to slide bites. I have big hands, and if I index too high, I get 'railroad tracks' on the fat part of the web twixt thumb and index finger (damn slide is really sharp). Still, it's a neat little gun, and goes with me when nothing else will do/ M2

I now have one thousand rounds out of my Alleycat without a problem.. all were 71 gr winchester at 139 ft pounds.

I can only speak for the gun I currently have...but I know that it is as trouble free as a gun can get.

Yep, I just need to break her in ...

So does anybody know where I can get cheap .32 acp ammo, say 500 to 1000 rds?

I was hoping that by now Wolf or somebody would start making some steel-case stuff that's cheap ... cheapest I've seen is like 170 bucks per thousand.

And the Tomcat is a biter, but not nearly as bad about it as a PA63 I had. I guess with the recoil and all, I can see why someone would want a locked-breech like the Kel-tec.

I slipped the Tomcat in an IWB holster this evening and took a walk ... the result? CCW heaven! Heavy enough to stay put, flat enough that I didn't even notice it near my belly.

BTW, I can hardly believe the lawyerly lengths the Beretta instruction manual goes to - chamber empty, are they serious? A double-action with a freakin' safety, and you still can't have one in the pipe? Yeah, sure I'll do that ...

Czech ammo. Sellier and Belliot <sp> is really good stuff. I found some at the gun show for cheaper than I could get it by UPS anywhere.

I see...

...that you've discovered my favorite characteristic of the Tomcat; it holds, points, and shoots like a much larger gun. If you close your eyes while holding it, you'd swear the thing was the size of a Makarov or maybe a G19. I find it a lot easier to fire fast and accurately than the other mini-32's on the market right now, the P-32 and the Seecamp and its various imitators; they all feel to me as though I should be holding them with tweezers.

A friend once called my Tomcat "Little Big Gun". The name stuck... ;)

Thanks for the input, folks.

Wish I could've said that first, Tamara, you hit the nail right on the head. It really does point/handle like a much bigger gun.

I'm sitting here with the Tomcat in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster (for .22's and .25's it says). This thing works great - it positions the grip just under the opening of the jeans pocket, instead of letting it drop to the bottom (which would necessitate the "act-like-your-fumbling-for-your-keys draw technique".

I can honestly say I have not felt encumbered at all by the Tomcat's alleged size/weight disadvantage so often mentioned on this newsgroup.

Well, I finally got the hollow point ammo, think I'll go try it and report here.

UPDATE

At a measured 15 yards, my benchrest groups with the Tomcat and Silvertips, Federal ball, Hydra-Shocks and Cor-Bons garnered 2.5 to 3 inch groups. I think it is actually more accurate than that, but it was a dark, gray day here and the cramped sights left very little light on either side of the front sight. In other words, my groups were small but horizontally strung, and it was all me.

No jams occurred during this limited session of 40 rds.

Hope this info is useful to prospective purchasers.

Back