My new SP101!

Tenderfoot

Well guys I've been looking for a S&W mod.19 for
about a year. Stopped in at a local pawn shop and
this Ruger SP101 fell in my lap. (told the wife I got it
all smudged up and they made me buy it):D
I picked up some 357mag. lead wadcutters to try
her out. Thought I had ruined the barrel! Had to make
a quick trip to Wallyworld to get some lead solvent.
Dissolved all the lead and the barrel is now spic&span!
First lead ammo I've shot in a few years, and I had forgotten
how ugly that barrel gets!
TF

Congrats

SP's are very nice guns. What is your exact model?

Barrel length?
Trigger operation?

I love my sp, great little pistol. If you are going to carry & shoot mag loads may I reccomend houge monogrips? To me they make all the difference in the world.
Congrats on your new gun!!!:D :D

The SP rules. I have the 3" version with with that real nice, super shiny, glows in the dark, sexy, glossy finish. I agree with Ben about the Hogue grips. I absolutely hate the stock ones, and the Pachmayr's just don't fit as perfect as the Hogue's, though they are a step up from the stocks. Congrats!! :D

How big is it???

Can some one please, post the measurements of this revolver? I am looking for a small CCW, and think this could be it, but I need to know how long is it, from the butt to the crown, and how wide. Ruger does not post this info at their WWW.

Pleeezzzz

Thank you,
Carlos

P.S by the way tenderfoot congrats on your new *toy*

Thanks guys for all the input!
CZ_ I don't know exactly the model, the barrel is the shortest I've seen around 1.5" it's DAO and has a bobbed hammer. It's slick and smooth kinda like a real noisy bar of soap!
I'm still attempting to learn to shoot it I keep jerking the trigger and keep hitting the target at about the 7 o'clock spot. Know of any rituals to break this bad habit?
TF

PS I like Houge grips too, I've got the finger groove model on my 1911.

Buy yourself a Lewis Lead Remover. One pull through the barrel and your problem is solved. Others have posted on using dish cleaning pads like a patch to clean lead. I shoot a lot of lead and don't give it a whole lot of thought.

Great gun. I own one but seldom shoot it. Mine shoots low with everything I feed it. I quickly lose interest in guns that don't shoot point of aim.

Mine shot very low with all loads as well. I just filed down the front sight so now it shoots to point of aim.

They shoot low with 357 loads because ruger uses the same front sight on the 38s. They were trying a one size fits all, didn't work too well. I just learned to cover my target with my front sight instead of putting the target on top of it, works for me.

I keep jerking the trigger and keep hitting the target at about the 7 o'clock spot. Know of any rituals to break this bad habit?

Yes, the classic 'ball and dummy' drill. You load 2 or 3 chambers with live ammo, and the rest with your empty cases. Close your eyes, spin the cylinder, and close it. Now, when you point the gun at the target, you cannot 'cheat' by seeing where the cartridge rims are as the cylinder rotates. ;) Watch your front sight and concentrate on your trigger pull. Your flinch will usually show up dramatically as you jerk the gun on a 'click' instead of a BANG.:D

If you really like the gun, consider acquiring one just like it in the 6rd .22LR caliber. It will make the perfect trainer and will be a lifelong plinker.

Another exercise: balance a coin on the front sight. Hold sight picture and dry-fire. Do not try this with ammo!

Okay thanks again!
I don't think I can do the coin thing without chewing
gum between the coin and sight.:D
I've got an old CO2 pistol of similar dimensions think
I'll try that for a while!
I tried modifying my sight picture to include the base
of the front sight instead of the top. Seemed to help some.
TF

I just picked up an SP101 as well, but mine is .38. 2" barrel. Cost was $150. Hammer is not bobbed.

M1911

MY new SP is supposed to be in today. Wasn't in the first shipment they recieved, hanging around was killing me. Oh well, takes me a couple of hours to get past the NCS check anyway.

I gave $350 for my 3" .357, but it had problems and had to go back to Ruger.
Check the "Got my SP101 BUT" thread.

Hey thanks for the replies guys!
Yeas I read the other SP-101 thread lots of good info there too.
I disassembled my SP-101 today and WHEW! I thought I wasn't going to to ever get that pawl in the right place. Needless to say I found out what that little pin was that fell on the floor when I took the grip inserts out! I CLP'ed all the parts and cleaned all that off, put a little dot of "Moly-Slide" on the hammer/trigger junction. It still takes almost two hands to pull that "politically correct" DAO trigger back. I ordered a Wollf spring kit from Brownells this PM. and got some Houge rubber grips while I was there. Now if only I could find a set of night sights like all my semiauto pistols have!
TF

Back