my new ruger american predator 308

Nice, but how about a range report when you can!
(And a bigger picture would really be nice)

I recently bought a Gunsight Scout .308

I have never put 5 through the same hole at 100yrds with anything until this rifle! I didn't believe it, so I did it again! My handloads

Amazing rifle, enjoy your Ruger, I have several of the Ruger Americans, .22LR, .223, .243, 7mm-08, .270, and 30-06. All are MOA@100yrds, or better, on my handloads.

All 308 Predators have 18" barrels. All other Predators, and all other 308's are 22". I've had mine for a while and I'm quite happy with it and the shorter barrel isn't the handicap I thought it would be. Initially I thought I'd have wanted at least 20". But so far it runs 50-70 fps slower with the same ammo that is fired in my 22" 308's. I can live with that. Accuracy is outstanding and it isn't picky about which loads it likes.

I picked up a flash hider for it. It adds about 2" to the overall length of the barrel which I think looks and balances better. Recoil has less muzzle flip.

SARuger said:
I have several of the Ruger Americans, .22LR, .223, .243, 7mm-08, .270, and 30-06. All are MOA@100yrds, or better, on my handloads.

If you don't mind sharing, what load(s) does your .223 prefer?

I only have a hundred or so through my Standard model, of 55, 62 and 75 grain, and it seems to prefer the heavier bullet. Twenty rounds of 55 grain at 100 yards looked like a load of buckshot. No doubt a good part of that was me, but I was able to group the 75g fairly well. These were Hornady Black factory loads, I plan to start hand loading soon.

OK too out the Ruger 308 to the range. Well at first I was not even on paper at 50 yards. I kind of had to play with the bdc to get it on paper. But once I got it on paper after about 10 shots I was able to get get it zeroed. It grouped pretty well the last three shots was in the center. I shot factory off the shelf ammo. Monarch 150 gr. Remington 150 gr.
Winchester 150 gr. Federal 180 gr. Winchester 180 gr.

I recently bought a Gunsight Scout .308

Amazing rifle, enjoy your Ruger, I have several of the Ruger Americans, .22LR, .223, .243, 7mm-08, .270, and 30-06. All are MOA@100yrds, or better, on my handloads.

IIRC, Ruger only offers their longer barreled scout in stainless.

I guess Ruger sells plenty of Americans. I've never seen any rebates for them.

Picture of target

Sorry tried to upload picture but unable to. but I must say I did not have any feeding problem. I shot 80 round on my first outing. Everything I feed it loaded and ejected. I am very happy with my purchase. I will continue to try different ammo to see what it likes.

18"

jmr40,

I've seen pics of your tidy 18" .308 Predator, and am a fan. I thought I saw a 22" barreled Predator .308 on the Ruger website, or, some arrangement of their (Rugers) advertising that led me to believe so. You seem pretty certain, I darn sure could be wrong.

A do agree that a tidy, short barreled .308 bolt rifle is a handy and useful thing.

Something magical about the Ruger American Predator. I bought one in 6.5 CM after playing with wifes 6.5 Ruger Precision Rifle. I used the justification I needed a light weight deer/antelope gun.

All reasoning goes out the window with this rifle. <$400. Light weight, 6.6 lbs. No bedding (except the screw and blocks). Moderate weight barrel. Flimsy 4 shot plastic magazines. It should be a cheap shooter, but its not.

My rap shoots as well as wife's RPR, at 1/3 the cost. After putting a brake on it the light thing doesnt bounce around while shooting. It doesn't walk after getting hot like so many light weight rifles.

Took it out day before yesterday to calibrate my BR2 G-7 range finder with my loads. Got it set and took it out again yesterday and got board banging a steel gong at 1135 yards.

I only tried the 140-143 gr bullets, Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler. With the same powder charge they all seem to hit the same spot, in shooting groups or at distance.

This rifle is strickly stock. Except for adding the brake, 20 moa rail, Votrex scope and adjusting the factor trigger to suit me.

Dont let the cost fool you, this isnt a normal Cheap Rifle.

I dont think my RAP is the exception, it appears to be the "rule". Since getting the 6.5 CM I got a 17 HMR and a 204 Ruger. Same results.

Now I have to get one in 223. I have 5 223s, two bolt guns and three ARs but I dont have a RAP in 223. I'm dying to see how the 80-90 gr match bullets will shot out of a RAP.

Back