My New Rifle: Help

stonewall50

So I have FINALLY gotten my perfect rifle. It has taken years because of being a college student and not having the time or coin to handle it.

It is a CZ 550 American in .308 with a Zeiss Scope mounted on it. I sighted it in at 100 with some crappy ammo, but was able to perform well at 300 yards (just for giggles) with 1 shot being 4 inches low of bullseye, and the other 4 inches right dead on. Beautiful fun and just perfect rifle.

But here is what I need now. I need a book an information on rifle shooting. I want to get better. I need the basics. If anyone can point me on the right direction please help me out.

reading theory is all well and good and can help to identify bad habits while shooting however there is no substitute for an actual instructor, some instructor lead shooting courses can be had for around $50 and are an invaluable investment.

reading theory is all well and good and can help to identify bad habits while shooting however there is no substitute for an actual instructor, some instructor lead shooting courses can be had for around $50 and are an invaluable investment.

Oh yes of course. I just want the sources and reading material because of my nature (I research).

Reading material.....can't blame a guy for wanting to read up on the topic.

So....I have a loaner book from a friend and it covers a heck of a lot of the basics and advanced subjects. It was written by Major John Plater, USAR, (retired). The title is The Ultimate Sniper. Don't let the title fool you....the topics covered work equally well for shooting deer, hogs, and elk too. Lots of info about marksmanship basics, breathing, sight picture, reading the wind, bullets and caliber choice, ballistics, optics, etc.

I'm sure others will jump in with other good references for you too.

Real rifle shooting basics...

Stonewall 50--If what you want is real rifle marksmanship basics, you oughta attend an Appleseed weekend event. Besides American history, rifle basics is what Appleseed is all about, and you get instruction, along with shooting (oh, lots and lots of shooting!)

An autoloading .22 with several 10-round box magazines, sling swivels--with military-style sling--and possibly a 'scope, is the ideal weapon for an Appleseed, along with abt. 500 rds. of ammo. But you bring what you got, and shoot what you brung, and the very-well-schooled instructors @ any Appleseed will work with you to bring out your rifle's best, and to greatly improve your own best shooting.

Appleseed events are held all over the country. Their website will let you know when/where there will be one near you. If you have to drive a little to get to the event, IMHO it will be well worth your time.

Good luck and please keep us posted! :)

I don't know if the book is still being published but "the Art of the Rifle" by Jeff Cooper went a long ways to improving my shooting. Its not a big book put has lots of good information on properly using the different shooting positions and correct mechanics. I don't recall it having much on bench rest shooting, mostly field shooting.

Stonewall, congratulations on your fine new rifle. I recommend getting a marksmanship manual from the USMC or USA. It will show how to perform the shooting positions - standing, kneeling, sitting and prone - properly and provide basics on range estimation, wind drift, use of a sling, etc. Get in the habit early of shooting without a bench - you will not have one in the woods on a deer hunt.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...+marksmanship&sprefix=USMC+rifle+mark,aps,147

Back