my new revolver,S&W mod 15, snubby, date of manuf, & tuning questions

cmsgt

Greetings,
Found a 2" S&W model 15 that I intend to improve, possibly an eventual carry gun. Looked for a model 19; found one last month in 4", bought it; and found a 95% model 15 with a 2" barrel; bought it too.
I ordered Wolff mainspring and rebound spring, intend to install a red front sight, and will replace the grip. Will have a good gun smith do an action job.
Did I leave anything out?
Anyone be able to tell me the date of manufacture?
serial # K732441
Any particular finger-groove wood grips that you would suggest, medium size?
Final dumb q, re the above: the m15 is a square butt frame -- is there a round butt grip that will fit; or is this asking if a square peg will fit throught a round hole?
Maybe one more question: 38 plus P okay? The short barrel looks pretty beefy, and it is a K frame; so hopefully it'll handle plus P ammo; otherwise I'd carry my light M38 with Nyclads.

Can't date it for you but....

Round butt grips would make it really big in the handle.
Could have the frame altered to accept roung butts for 50-75 bucks n up.

Shoot a bit in bad light before goin to red ramp.....I see no advantage and red ramp not good for precise target work....moot point maby with the 2" barrel.

Sam

cmstg: You just bought yourself a fine revolver. You can shoot it forever with +P ammo. I sold mine to a family member with very small hands so I don't miss it quite so much. Mine was round butted when I bought it used. Also had action job. I don't know who did the work but it had the finest D.A. pull of any revolver I've ever fired bar none. Brownel's has a jig for round butting, don't recall the price. Finally try Hogue grips, with the right holster you can conceal it o.k.

that's a pretty good year for quality control

You might want to shoot several boxes through it and see how much it smooths up before altering it. wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty near perfect as is.

Back