My new M-1 Garand...

Cliff

UPS delivered a sweet package to my house last Thursday - an M-1 Garand from Orion 7.

Here's a not so great photo of the rifle...
newgarand.jpg

The receiver is Springfield Armory, serial number 4430XX - this places the mfr. date in January, 1942. The trigger guard is forged and milled, the rear sight assembly is the "flush nut" design, and all other parts appear appropriate for the receiver mfr. date.

New barrel and new wood (appropriately smelling of linseed oil) :-) ... everything else original USGI. The rifle looks... well... brand new!

Cost was $960.00 - not inexpensive, but less than an M1A. Also, because the rifle was obtained using my C&R, there was no NICS involved, no 4473, and no DROS (CA stuff).

I have 800 rounds of Talon M2 ball, and a range trip in my bones. :)

Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff (edited May 03, 2000).]

"There is an enchantment cast upon any woman when she holds a baby, whether or not it is her own. Similarly, there is an enchantment cast upon any man when he holds a rifle in his hands. This magical spell is both intellectual and emotional." Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Clearly, this applies to you, Cliff. Enjoy!

Cliff:

What is your C&R?

I'd love to have an M1 Garand!

I thought I was the only one to smell my rifles.

Regards,

Slim

I had to carry an M1 all through military school. When I graduated, I missed it. I still miss it. Last sunday I was at the rifle range with my Bushmaster Shorty, and the fellow beside me was shooting an M1. Brought back some pleasant memories.
Very accurate rifle. He was doing pretty good at 100 yards.
I'm looking at a M1 carbine. I would have already bought it but the metal guard over the barrel intrudes into the sight picture, like it's twisted or something. Seems a little weird.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

Cliff,
That is one SHARP looking rifle! I can't wait to get all the prerequisites taken care of for the CMP so that I can order mine..and then a LOONNGGG wait. :(
Hope mine looks half as nice as yours.
Safe shooting,

Nathan

Slim - "C&R" is an abbreviation for Curios and Relics. The formal designation for it is a Type 03, Curios and Relics, Federal Firearms License.

If you want to learn more about the license, I suggest a visit to http://www.cruffler.com/

For the $30.00 for a 3 year license, it's a great (and money saving) deal!

Nathan - your CMP Garand will be WELL worth the wait.

Cliff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cliff:

The receiver on my Garand is over 50 years old so it qualifies for the C&R.
[/quote]

Oh Oh!! The receiver on my Garand and myself are BOTH over 50 (over 55 for me)! Guess that makes me a curio and relic too!! The problem with that is that my wife has been saying that I am a relic so I can't let her see this post cause we all know that she CAN'T be right!! :rolleyes:

------------------
Carlyle

Carlyle - :D

I'm not QUITE yet 50 - but I'm staring down the muzzle close enough that I can see the lands and grooves. My wife already passed that mark.

She is viewing MY approach with what I consider to be an entirely inappropriate amount of evil glee. :)

Cliff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cliff:

She is viewing MY approach with what I consider to be an entirely inappropriate amount of evil glee.
[/quote]

Cliff, the one good thing about all of this is that since I have her beat by 10 years, as she nears the 46 mark I hear less and less of the snide little remarks that she is so used to slinging out!! :D Now if I was only in as good a shape as the receiver on my M1 :rolleyes:

------------------
Carlyle

DCV:

From the Firearms Curio's and Relics list as published by the BATF (from page 30):

U.S., Rifle, cal. .30 M1, original military issue only, produced prior to 1956.

Back