My New Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a new Kimber Classic Stainless and finally got it down to the range yesterday. The good news is the slide stop locked back each time the magazine was emptied. I bought a couple of Wilson Combat magazines and when I used them, the slide would lock back on a partially full magazine. This happened numerous times. I also had the casing fail to eject a few times (kind of a horizontal stove pipe). I switched over to the stock magazine and I had zero failures. Any idea who makes this stock mag??? The only marking on it says "Made in Italy". The guy at the gun shop sold me a Chip McCormick PowerMag, but I won't be able to check it out until Friday.

One other problem to report. I cleaned and oiled the gun last night and today, I had the slide lock up solid after shooting about 30 rounds. I thought it was mechanical. The first thing the guy at the shop asked was "did you use oil or grease on the slide rails". I told him I used oil. He then explained to me that I should use grease on on the slide rails on stainless models. When the gun cooled down, it unlocked, we greased it up, and it functioned normaly.

I would appreciate any input or experiences you guys may share with me. The threads I have read on this board are the main reason I chose a Kimber. I do love it and hope to work out these small bugs. Thanks in advanced.

Mike

I also have a Kimber Classic Stainless. Mine had the slide stop problem. New slide stop solved the problem.

I think Kimber supplies Meggar magazines with their new pistols. My older Kimber, a Stainless Target, has functioned with every magazine I have tried, Wilsons, Chip McCormick Shooting Stars, Metalforms, and GI surplus. The newer one was a little picky. Its working fine now.

Did you clean the gun thoroughly, before you shot it the first time? Mine were both new and a little dirty when I got them. I use the gun oil as put out by Remington, and I have had no problems. I do not use grease.

Check your extractor. It may be to tight.

I have over 2000 rounds through the Target and it still looks brand new. I have been shooting IDPA with it and I am very happy with it. The Stainless Classic is now my primary carry. I added Heinie Straight Eight night sites and dumped the rubber grip panels for real wood ones.

I like mine, and I think you will be happy with yours also.

Kimber uses MecGar magazines. MecGar are available from Brownells and most other good mail order sources. I'm surprised that the Wilson-Rogers didn't function well. I've had no problems with them in my Kimber Custom Classic. BTW-MecGar seems to be the magazine of choice for manufacturers: Beretta uses them, and so does Springfield.

When I recieved the gun it was a bit dirty. It just looked like it had a few rounds fired through it. I anticipated the slide stop problem that alot of you were having and bought a Wilson slide stop and a few magazines while the gun was on order. Like A knuckle head, I went to the range with the Wilson slide stop installed and the Wilson Mags only (instead of using/bringing the factory stuff). I had the problems with the slide locking back and the stove pipe. I cleaned the gun well and lubed using Hopps oil. The next day, I went back to the range with the factory slide stop and both sets of mags. I tried the two Wilson Mags to see if possibly one mag might be bad. Had similar problems with both Wilsons. Then the lock up occured. The gun store employee greased the slides with white lithium grease and then I exclusively used the factoy mag with no failures. Maybe I should of tried the Wilson Mags one more time after we greased the slide.

Well tomorrow I will go back to the range with the the Wilson, McCormick, and factory mags and see what happens. I lubed the slide with Break-Free(another store recommended it). I will also pay attention to my thumb to see if it may be hitting the slide stop. I doubt this is a problem. Even with my big paws, I have a hard time reaching the slide stop with my thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back