My new HK USC

tenders

Wheeee!
Went to the range last night and picked up my new USC. I also got the aluminum forend rail and vertical foregrip from Knight's. Well, the gun did of course attrect a lot of attention. Stripping it was really easy, two screws out, pull buttstock off, seperate upper from lower, drop out bolt assembly. Then I had to spend a little while wiping off all the preservative that HK puts on at the factory. Lubed it up, reassembled, installed the foregrip, and took it out on the range.

Wow.

I put 100 rnds of 230gr FMJ through it. Very little kick, and supremely accurate. If you see the target through the diopter sights, you hit the target. This was the second time that I have shot one of these, and at 50ft, I was dissapointed whenever I had a group larger than 2 or so inches. On one target, I put 20 rounds through one hole that is about 2.5 inches in diameter. Follow up shots can be done quickly, and I'm sure that they will get better as I learn to control the weapon better.

HK includes a cable lock, a universal "HK Tool" (allen wrench and screwdriver set) and the universal HK sling (I like that a lot!). Only one mag from the factory, though.

On the whole, I love this gun, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a really good pistol caliber carbine.

-Tim

May I ask how much it cost?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Skorzeny-
The gun was $1200. Yeah, it's a bit expensive, but here's the way that I see it: it's a chance to own an ultra-reliable modern HK carbine for less than $3000. Like I said, it shoots like a dream. The manual actually TELLS you to please shoot +p, hollow points, and .45super through it.

Here's the link to HK's page on it: http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/Pages/civil_rifle.html#Anchor-USC-49425

I have seen these go for up to $1400 or so.

I can't wait to get it to an outdoor range and see what it can do at longer ranges!

-Tim

Tenders --

I don't want to piss in your Wheaties, but make sure your USC has the new steel charging handle. HK recalled all the polymer ones earlier this year. I bought mine last December and had only about 500 rounds through it before the recall happened. I'm still waiting for it to come back from HK. Other than that, it'a an awesome weapon.

<A HREF="http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com" TARGET=_blank>HECKLER & KOCH, INC. (HK) ANNOUNCES RECALL
OF UMP AND USC \</A>

Heckler & Koch, Inc.
21480 Pacific Boulevard
Sterling, Virginia 20166 USA

Tel: (703) 450-1900
Fax: (703) 450-8160 www.hecklerkoch-usa.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: (703) 450-1900
February 10, 2000

HECKLER & KOCH, INC. (HK) ANNOUNCES RECALL
OF UMP AND USC

Sterling, VA -- Heckler and Koch, Inc. (HK) is voluntarily recalling a quantity of Universal Machine Pistol’s (UMP) and Universal Sporting Carbine’s (USC) shipped since the last quarter of 1999, effective immediately.
This recall was prompted by recent reports of approximately twenty instances of breakage of the operating handle. The operating handle, manufactured of a polymer composite, is used to retract the bolt, allowing the user to load or unload the weapon. If the operating handle breaks, the firearm is then rendered inoperable.
HK is recalling UMP’s with serial numbers 163-001001 through 163-001200. USC’s with serial numbers 47-000102 through 47-002600 are also being recalled.
"While there is no possibility of harm to the user as a direct result of operating handle breakage, HK is initiating this recall, effective immediately, in the interest of the safety of our customers," said Eoin Stafford, HK President. "This action only serves to underscore HK’s commitment to providing the highest quality product and best service possible. Most importantly, we thank our customers for their patience and understanding as we move to resolve this as quickly as possible."
All of the recalled firearms will be fitted with a newly-designed operating handle by HK’s technical department at no charge. Current UMP and USC product on order will be refitted prior to shipment. The new operating handle is currently in production and HK expects to commence installation within the next six to eight weeks.
HK is recommending that USC and UMP owners not use their firearms until the new handle is installed. Owners are requested to please contact HK at (703) 450-1900, ext. 226 to confirm shipment and installation procedure.

---------------------------------------------

Hopefully yours is already fixed. Sounds like a really nice firearm.

Could you have 10 usa made parts installed and then be able to use a 30 round mag that was adapted to fit the USC?

dZ

I'm glad you enjoy your new toy. Just recently (about two weeks ago) I had my USC on the for sale board for $1050 with an extra magazine. I was tossed between "should I send it back to HK for the recall" or "the heck with it, SELL SELL SELL".
No one responded so I decided to keep it. Even though I haven't had any problems, it kind of scares me knowing that the operating rod is not stable.
BUT, it rocks and can hit tight groups from 25 yards all day long. No problems here.
Hey tenders, try some +P rounds. They are fun as heck. I haven't tried .45 Super yet.

Back