My new Glock

spawndn72

I have been in this hobby for 25+ years and have never owned or shot a Glock. They just didn't feel right in my hand at the store and there was always something I wanted more.

Well, I finally broke down and bought one. A gen 5 Glock 19 with night sights. Mainly due to the insanely low price my LGS was selling them for as a Memorial day deal. At the price, I figured I could turn around and sell it for almost what I was paying for it if I hated it.

All that to say that I absolutely love this thing. I have been missing out.
It shoots to point of aim, is soft shooting and for whatever reason feels much better in the hand shooting it as opposed to handling it in the store.

Guess this goes to show that you need to shoot something before passing judgment. Wonder what else I need to try...(rhetorical question)

I like my Glock 19 Gen 5. I need to make one adjustment with the grip. Need to extend it. I have big hands and 2 fingers hang over the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLOCKs are sort of the Toyota Camrys of the gun world and I don't mean that in a negative way. They do what they were designed to do very well and economically.

I got a Glock 19 gen 5 with night sights last month. I had considered several pistols of the G19 type but ultimately got the Glock. Although the other guns are good too, I like the G19.

I have been in this hobby for 25+ years and have never owned or shot a Glock. They just didn't feel right in my hand at the store and there was always something I wanted more.

Well, I finally broke down and bought one. A gen 5 Glock 19 with night sights. Mainly due to the insanely low price my LGS was selling them for as a Memorial day deal. At the price, I figured I could turn around and sell it for almost what I was paying for it if I hated it.

All that to say that I absolutely love this thing. I have been missing out.
It shoots to point of aim, is soft shooting and for whatever reason feels much better in the hand shooting it as opposed to handling it in the store.

Guess this goes to show that you need to shoot something before passing judgment. Wonder what else I need to try...(rhetorical question)
Congrats on your new Gen 5 Glock 19. I love my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new in the early 90s and it has been perfectly reliable and I CCW it often. I would by a Gen 5 with no hesitation if I wanted another one and probably will at some point. IMO Glocks are still among the very top tier striker fired pistols.

I have been preaching a lot that how a pistol feels in your hand does not necessarily mean squat as your experience demonstrated and shooters miss out on some terrific pistols based on "how it feels in the hand".

It took me 30 years of handgun shooting before finally buying my first new Glock! It is arriving Tuesday - a G48.

I have been preaching a lot that how a pistol feels in your hand does not necessarily mean squat as your experience demonstrated and shooters miss out on some terrific pistols based on "how it feels in the hand".

I liked the double stack Glocks them even less after firing them. I would much rather spend time shooting a gun that was comfortable to shoot.

Congrats on your new Gen 5 Glock 19. I love my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new in the early 90s and it has been perfectly reliable and I CCW it often. I would by a Gen 5 with no hesitation if I wanted another one and probably will at some point. IMO Glocks are still among the very top tier striker fired pistols.

Agree...my son's G17 never felt good in MY hand but shooting it..well, I now have a G17Gen4, and G19gen4..both great shooters.

For me the grip angle of the Glock helps me lock my wrist at a good angle for recoil control.

The same reason I rather like a 1911 with an arched main spring housing which emulates the Glock grip angle.

I also waited , I didnt know what I was missing, I just couldnt accept a polymer pistol, it felt like a toy

the simplicity, reliability, ease of maintenance is amazing, I like the Glock so much, I often vollunteer to clean my brother's Glocks after a range session, they clean up so easily, and dont need much lube, you can replace parts so easily and they dont cost much.

my G19 Gen 3 barrel still shows no signs of finish wear after firing over a 1000 rds through it, the barrel hood still has all the original finish too, I use Gun Butter to lube my Glocks.

Last edited:
I used to turn my nose up at Glock too. Until I bought a used one under similar circumstances. I knew that I'd not like it, but also knew I could get my money back since I was buying it so cheap.

Glock quickly won me over and I now have several. I have other pistols, but the rest have become range toys.

If it works for you that's all that matters.

I had a love/hate relationship with Glock for years. I kept picking one up not long after I sold the last. I've been happy with them now and have sort of accepted the shortcomings as I've found them for myself. I've owned just about all the other polymer framed, striker fired pistols and I am always surprised how decades later it still holds up well in comparison.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I like my Glock 19 Gen 5. I need to make one adjustment with the grip. Need to extend it. I have big hands and 2 fingers hang over the bottom.
Try the Glock model 45. It’s a G19 size slide on basically a G17 size frame/grip. Gives you the extra purchase you want.

Love my Glocks. They’re not pretty but they are reliable and shoot well. They are so easy to maintain and parts are easy to find and cheap.

Good grief! How big are your hands? I'm 6'8", and my hands are pretty much proportional to my body. So I'd say they're big. I wear xl gloves. But I can hold a G19 high ant tight and have my pinky wrap around the base of the grip with only a slight bit of contact with the magazine base.

I hope you play/played basketball.

GLOCKs are sort of the Toyota Camrys of the gun world and I don't mean that in a negative way. They do what they were designed to do very well and economically.

Reliable, not inspiring - Chris Titus in referencing a particular joke as the Toyota Cambry of the joke world.

My Gen. 3

When I got the heck out of the peoples republic of Kalifornia I was more than ready to carry concealed. That's been 11 years now.
I bought a Gen3 G19 and a case of Federal hardball and practiced a lot.

I still own the G19, I've downsized tho over the years. I don't do a carry rotation.
Full time carry is the LCP in my pocket, I rarely take the G19 along anymore.

Initially I was very uncomfortable carrying the Glock, once I had a good IWB holster that covered the trigger my comfort level increased.

An LCP in my pocket beats a G19 at home.

My experience with the 19 as well. It does not feel good in the hand at all compared to some competitors, but shoots extremely well for me (better in fact than the full-size 17).

This is why I'm not a fan of the "all pistols today are good - get whatever feels best in the hand" advice that some like to spout around here and across the internet. There are definitely other factors at play.

Last edited:
I have a Glock 26 that I carry daily. Other pistols in my safe look better and feel better in the hand, but at the range I don't shoot any of them better and none are more reliable. Glock is a one trick pony that does its trick extremely well. Glad for you, OP, that you are enjoying your G19.

Good grief! How big are your hands? I'm 6'8", and my hands are pretty much proportional to my body. So I'd say they're big. I wear xl gloves. But I can hold a G19 high ant tight and have my pinky wrap around the base of the grip with only a slight bit of contact with the magazine base.

I hope you play/played basketball.

I was a goalkeeper in soccer. xxl gloves are sometimes tight. I have wide palms and as my family says snausagues for fingers. I have been looking at mag extenders that will help. I’m only 5’10” but very broad. I wear a 54-56 suit. They have to take the pants apart to fit them. JOS A Banks is good. I grab the jacket separate then get my pants size. They let you by different size pants

Back