My new Carcano...with some trench art

Mausermolt

Hello Curio kids, riddle me this. I added a new rifle to my C & R collection and it had some curious carving on the stock. She is a 1940, M1891/38 chambered in 6.5 Carcano. Check out these pics and tell me what you think the numbers carved in the stock are. obviously the letters are someone initials and I thought the numbers could have been a date, but I'm not quite sure. Give me some internet wisdom!!!!

Attachments

• 20131207_211258.jpg
    20131207_211258.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 20131207_211325.jpg
    20131207_211325.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Someone commemorated the assassination of John Kennedy. J.K.- John Kennedy, 11/22/3- November 22, 1963. And Oswald used a Carcano to assassinate the president.

Someone commemorated the assassination of John Kennedy. J.K.- John Kennedy, 11/22/3- November 22, 1963. And Oswald used a Carcano to assassinate the president.
This. Obviously a very repugnant "joke."

Before I even read l.cutlers post that's what I thought.
Undoubtedly poor taste if that's what it is supposed to be.

It could be someone's attempt to make a fraudulent "collectible" for the ignorant.
I can only imagine the story of how the scam artist managed to acquire Oswald's rifle with his tally mark.

I would ordinarily balk at the idea of sanding the stock on a relic, but on that one, I would definitely want that off of it.

Oh wow. ... never even thought of that. ... unfortunately sandpaper wont take that out. The marks are about a quarter inch deep in the stock. I bought the rifle just to complete my WWII collection, not as a really serious collectors p piece. Maybe ill look around for a new stock. thanks guys

Those marks aren't that deep. You might be surprised at what 50 grit could do with it. It might not be pretty, but at least those marks would be gone.

The Kennedy date doesn't make sense. Why would the guy put just "3" and not "63?" If that is a date, then it would make more sense for it to be 11/22/2003.

Maybe see if you could snag this one?

CowTowner, it's a moot point now, but that stock on eBay was for a '91 Moschetto, and was not correct for his gun. I know at one time, Sarco had some 1938 stocks, so you might give them a call and see if they still have any. Another source might be Northridge International or Springfield Sporters.

OP, what you are looking for is a "Model 1938" stock.

Edit: Just did a Google and found that Sarco has them listed, part #"CC046 Carcano Stock, Short Rifle 38 " $44.50 and IN STOCK NOW.

Last edited:
Back