My new (but old) Remington Rolling Block 43 Spanish

Centurion

Attached you can find some pics of my new carbine.

It is a 43 Spanish with a four digits tang number on the 4xxx range. I suppose maybe manufactured during the late 1870s.

It is totally original and with clear rifling, although the barrel have some pits that I suppose to be caused by using corrosive primers during its early life.

I will try to load somo shots and perform some tests in a couple of weeks.

Brgds!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 125
Interesting guns, but don't forget that they are of the black powder era, so it is necessary to either load black powder or keep loads within the BP pressure range, the same as with .45-70 loads for the old trapdoors. It has been argued that the rolling block action is stronger than the trapdoor, but subjecting either to high pressure is not good for the life of the gun or maybe even the continued health of the shooter.

Jim

Totally agree with you.

I'll load only BP ammo for it.

Once I got the BP disease it's being difficult for me to load with another powder, period.

I also note that I'm shooting my regular smokeless guns less than ever before!

Is it possible?

FWIW- from Wikipedia
it was the chief service arm of the Spanish Army from 1870–1893
AKA 43-77 in the Peabody rifle.

Fun cartridge.

You can buy paper patched cast lead bullets for loading it, or load lubed lead. Remember to use BP lube or you'll regret it.

Track of the Wolf wants $3.39 each for brass. Their site has a bunch of useful info too.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partdetail.aspx/233/1/case-43-spanish
Midway wants $39.99 per 20 for Jamison brass. Bertram is roughly $20 more, but it's apparently discontinued by them anyway. Isn't discontinued by Bertram because I can sell an organ and buy 20 for $100, up here. snicker.
Buffalo Arms wants $80.60 per 20 for 370 Gr RN(Lyman mould #439186) BP loaded ammo.
It is rumoured(on-line) that .45-70 Trapdoor loads will be fine. However, there is some smokeless and BP data at Reloader's Nest.

Back