my new Black powder toy!!!

now the question is... for home defense... better load this 20 ga with buckshots or slugs? I'm not concerned about overpenetration

home defense

I was going to say buckshot because more holes bleed, well, more. I think though that maybe 'buck and ball' like they did in the civil war. 1 20 ga. ball with 3 buckshot in there with it. There's been some discussion on another thread, I think it was this forum, about the proper loading procedure.
Bill

Shotgun Willy said:
I was going to say buckshot because more holes bleed, well, more. I think though that maybe 'buck and ball' like they did in the civil war. 1 20 ga. ball with 3 buckshot in there with it. There's been some discussion on another thread, I think it was this forum, about the proper loading procedure.
Bill

I remember those loads, my gran dad called em ***k & ball because if you got hit with it you were ****ed...

I have to look around but I may have a loading that made it work.

Definitely interested in a range report. I am looking into one myself. Where did you get it and how much do they cost?

Happy shooting!

We found that with the short barrel FFFg works best. And my view is that Swiss is the best normal BP around anyway. And all shooting was done with patched RB's, with no wads between the powder and the ball. Caps we used were CCI #11 Magnum, and charge was 50gr, however we found small difference in velocity between 40gr and 50gr. Hitting a plate with 250mm diameter at 50m is not difficult with that pistol at all.

You have really bought a very good pistol. Both members in our club have gone hunting with theirs. And taking animal to the size of elk at distances less than 50m is very realistic.

I got it in a gun shop in Paris, sorry guys I'm french :p it cost around 600 euros here.
heinrich thank you so much for the infos! concerning buckshot, what size of bullet would be good?
I was wondering if loading it with 6 rounds of 31cal would do? With 50grs of FFFg swiss powder! as home defense load for back up my BP revolvers :D

We have the option of buying a smooth bore, or a rifled version in SA. The smooth bore should shoot that number of RB's pretty good, I would take a light material, and sew a little bag to put the shot into. Will load easy, and keep all the ball in place.

If your gun is rifled, I will not even consider loading such a charge.

Back