my new acquistion, m95

pelo801

the other day i went down to the local big 5. i had heard they got some m44's in stock, and i had been wanting one. it turned out they were m38's. well i already have one of those. but hiding in the back of the rack was a m95. i asked to see it. the counter guy said it's broken. we can't get the bolt back in, and we are going to have send it back. i said i still wanted to see it to look it over. he handed it to me, i held the bolt end in my left hand, pulled the other end and twisted till it locked, slid the bolt back into place. then asked if they would give me 10% off, since i fixed it for them. he went to talk to his boss, came back and said yes they would. so i bought it. out the door price 96$. i didn't think that was too bad. all the wood, including the upper forestock, both barrel bands, the bolt, the receiver have matching serial numbers. the only thing i don't think is original to this gun is the trigger guard and mag assembly. they are marked with a K and the receiver is marked with a R. the only thing i am not happy with is when it was rebored, one of the S was stamped over the original proof marks. i can make out the BP, and tell it has the double shield, and see the 1 part of the date. but i can't tell what the next number was. but i guess i know it was made somewhere between 1916 and 1918. now i just need to find a bayonet. well here's the pics

Attachments

• m95 (8).JPG
    m95 (8).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 70
  • m95 (6).JPG
    m95 (6).JPG
    74 KB · Views: 54
  • m95 (4).JPG
    m95 (4).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 53
Looks pretty nice to me, our local Big5 has a couple of doggy M95's for $150 or so, keeps me looking elsewhere.

The M44's here are great, all matching, nice condition, bought one for the collection and another to tuck away. The M91/30's are so cheap I can't help picking one up every few weeks. They've all been good shooters and condition is pretty nice.

I nearly picked one up a while ago from the local Big 5. It was on sale for something like $89. Decided to go home and do some research as I knew nothing about it other than I liked how it felt. The ammo situation made me turn the other way. Still think about picking up an M95 from time to time. Went for the Mosin M44, though, and pretty dang happy with it.

You got one of the Hungarian ones - they seem a little harder to come by.

Last September I picked one up from Big 5. Considering it's small size, lighter weight, and huge cartridge, it kicks quite a bit. If the ammo were cheap and easier to come by it would be one of my favorites.

Back