My Mosin Nagant 91/30

easyliven88

I bought this Mosin Nagant from AIM, it arrived with all matching numbers and a bayonet. I'm not a purist, so I ordered Boyd's Thumbhole stock and a muzzle break...Threw on Arctic Grey Duracoat, smoothed out the trigger after watching several Youtube videos on the subject...I also bedded the action to the stock using Accu-glass (not that easy, but went slow and read the instruction many, many times). Then I took it to the gunsmith for safety check, he chuckled, and asked me why do all this when you can just buy a new already sporterized rifle? I simply said said that I wanted to "build" this rifle myself..Range test in 2 weeks, and when I get zeroed in and start getting nice groupings, I'll be a very happy man for under $375...Here's some before and after pics....Happy Shooting!!!

Attachments

• mosin91-30.jpg
    mosin91-30.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 141
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 131
if that is really the wood your gun came in would you mind giving it to me?
that is either the nicest 91/30 stock on the planet or that's an airbrushed stock photo.

Sorry that is just a stock pic, because like an idiot I didn't snap a few before disassembly...:mad: Although the stock it came in was really nothing special, I was just really pleased when I peeked at the bore. After cleaning and snaking it a few times, for an 1942 rifle it was nice and shiny!!!

I'm intrigued with the Arctic Gray Duracote. Did you use it to prevent future corrosion, eliminate rebluing, improve aesthetics, or all of the above? If it prevents corrosion, where can I get some, and what does it cost?

Yung.gunr...the muzzle brake is from http://mosinplus.com/

The scope mount is Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount w/1 Rings, 3/8 Dovetail that I ordered from Amazon...Fits right onto the dovetail, just a tad longer than the dovetail itself. An Ncstar scope...you can't even see the front iron sight, turned out perfect.

With some better breathing techniques and a smoother trigger I know I can do better. I swear that trigger is going to break my finger :)

Attachments

• range 2.jpg
    range 2.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 50
  • range 3.jpg
    range 3.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 45
  • range 1.jpg
    range 1.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 44
good ole cowturner. it may not be C&R by gubment standards this is still the forum where all the old coots that know a lot about them hang out. lighten up:cool:

Pineknot...I had actually ordered a Timney, but it was back ordered long enough for me to change my mind on dropping $100 on a trigger for one that works but needs some serious polishing and smoothing out. I'm going to order another sear spring just in case I "take a little to much off the top":D

easyliven88,
What's the variable power and brand of your scope?

I have access to a Finnish M39, that I'd like to not permanently alter, yet make it into a better long range shooter. A synthetic stock and a scout mount would be about it. Reloading for it, would be my next project. I'd like to attain good accuracy out to 400 yards and I don't think that would be a problem with this rifle. The original trigger is very crisp and not very heavy.

Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57, the scope is an NcSTAR 2-7x32 Long eye relief sporting scope sitting directly on the dovetail on the barrel. After almost 100 rds it is still zeroed in at 100 yds. Not one issue with scope or the mount coming loose, all in all not bad for a $70 set up....Now on to 200 yds...:D

Back