My Model 36 J-frame heats up during shooting - is that okay?

bullbarrel

After a hundred rounds - which goes by pretty quickly - I can feel the cylinder getting hot. Should I set it aside and let it cool, or can I shoot more with no adverse effects?

Thanks.

By the way, the little revolver is a pleasure to shoot with standard .38 Spl - not much recoil and flash. I still need to practice with it to be more accurate. Can't place the holes in the bullseye at 7 yards, but it groups well, sometimes.

Are you using +p ammo or just standard .38's?

I would stay with the standard .38 Special loads in a J frame snubbie.

I think you should let it cool down.
Taking a little time between your reloads will let it cool off and also may help with your shooting.

As to your accuracy, have you tried different ammo?
My M-36 j-frame shoots Federal Hydra-Shok better than anything else.

I think over heating will speed up the "wear and tear" on your gun.

Try concentratin on your sight picture a bit more. Make each shot count. A 36 is quite capable of maken one ragged hole at 7 yards.

Accuracy first, speed will come.

Warm doesn't hurt em, too hot to touch is too much.

Sam

Normally heating will cause no problems and will not accelerate wear. The only problem would be if the barrel-cylinder gap is too tight, in which case when the barrel and cylinder expand, the cylinder can bind and lock up the gun.

Jim

If you're going through 100 rounds FAST through your little J M-36, perhaps the real issue to address is your practice technique. A good rule of thumb is 3 to 5 rounds of dry fire for every one of live fire. Go through the stroke. Smooth it out. Draw, fire 2. Re-holster. Draw, fire 2....

You'll be doing yourself the world of good, and you'll save on ammo and wear and tear on your J-frame! :)

If you can firmly touch the cylinder for a few seconds without having to remove your fingers, it isn't too hot. If you can't, then it needs a cooling off period.

Back