My luck with firearms

TheFineLine

You know, I'm just not having a lot of luck lately. Here's a post from just a couple of days ago regarding my Rossi mega fail.

So I got a Para Pro Custom (a $1,250 1911) and put three hundred rounds through it and it was pretty consistently having one or two FTFs per mag. I figured it needed a break-in period like my Kimber but when it didn't let up I sent it in. Para adjusted the EGW HD extractor which had no tension on it and said they put 150 rounds through it without fail. I had it back 5 days after I shipped it to them so I was very happy with their turn-around time. So I took it out to the range today and put another 150 rounds through it and you're never going to believe what happened.......it had 9 FTFs. Three out of 100 winchester white box rounds and six out of 50 PMC bronze. Well, maybe on this trip they'll put in a pre-ramp on the frame like they're doing on their Black Ops now. I hear that fixes the problem. I thought they would have done it when I sent it in the first time but nope. I will say that when it wasn't failing it shot like a dream. I was drilling holes at 15 yards. It was so smooth, the action was like butter. I love it. I hope they fix me up. I'm getting tired of going to the fedex location.

On the other hand my new Savage American Classic 114 in 30.06 with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 was fantastic. It gave me a right at 1 moa off the bench at 100 yards. That's the best grouping I've ever had. Admittedly this was my first time shooting a bolt action rifle. I've only ever shot pistol caliber levers and semiautos in 22long, 5.56 and 7.62x39. It kicked like a mule so I only put about 30 rounds through it. The accuracy was really something. I can't wait to go shoot some piggies with it. That Savage Accutrigger is amazing. I'm thinking about getting a 270 barrel for it since it is a relatively (so I've read) easy thing to change out. The blued and walnut rifle is a beauty to see and shoot.

I sent the Rossi back Tuesday. I'm going to call Para in the morning and send it back. I betcha I get the Para back before the Rossi.

So.....Two out of four new purchases in one year needing multiple trips back to the manufacturer really seems like bad luck to me, or maybe I'm just picking poorly.

Here's what every FTF has looked like

Last edited:
That's 85% of my experiences with 1911's...
l034.gif

TheFineLine, I share your pain. Just a comment on Para. I've been a 1911 user for many years and thought a 1911 type that held a whole bunch of ammo would be pretty neat. I bought a new Para P-14 Limited a few years ago. Appeared to be nicely made, well fitted, etc. I'm not sure I ever got a full magazine of ammo throuhgh that gun without the same type of malfunction shown in your photos.

I have single stack 1911s by several manufacturers, no Paras, in ,45, 9MM and 38 Super. All just work. Best of luck with your Para, hopefully the manufacturer can sort it out.

Ps, I've had five Kimbers, One had an easily remedied issue. The others just worked 100% from day one.

I'll be among the first to ask... could you be limp-wristing it? You might have someone else give it a try and see it they have the same results. Just a thought.

Ya, I had some bad luck last year too. Fortunately both of the guns that had to be sent back came back just fine, but it is still a bummer to get a brand new gun that doesn't work the way it is supposed to right out of the box, especially a nicer quality firearm.

You know, I'm just not having a lot of luck lately. Here's a post from just a couple of days ago regarding my Rossi mega fail.

So I got a Para Pro Custom (a $1,250 1911)

blah blah blah....

So.....Two out of four new purchases in one year needing multiple trips back to the manufacturer really seems like bad luck to me, or maybe I'm just picking poorly.

Get a Glock.

;)

Last year's purchase ended up have a problem. The manufacturer covered shipping, and fixed it and got it back to me withing 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Thefiringline stick it out, para will make it right and it will be a lot of gun for the price. I think you are right they will put a ramp on the frame. You also may want to look at the mags, did you have the FTf with both mags? If you go to the 1911 forum you can pm travis tomasie and he will help if you need it.

I have a few polymers, XDMs, and Rugers. They don't ever fail, but shooting them is just not as enjoyable as a good 1911 or high end revolver like a 686 or the GP100. I love my Kimber UCII and shooting the Para when it's not failing is fantastic. I don't like Glocks. The long trigger pull and poor aesthetics just don't do it for me. They're great guns, just not for me.

I have quite a bit of experience shooting 1911s just not tinkering with them. I can admit I'm not the best metalworker and I don't want to screw up one of my weapons. My point being it is definitely not limp wristing.

I've been reading quite a bit on the Para 1911 forum just haven't joined up yet. If I have another issue after this trip I'll be getting with Travesie and seeing what he thinks. I'm also wanting to switch out the polycarbonate trigger with an aluminum one. The trigger pull is great but I just don't like the feel of the plastic. Other than that it is near perfect for me. I was drilling holes with it at the range. The finish is like butter and the fiber optic sight is great. The grips don't chew up my hand like I thought they might being machined. I love the weapon. I will be patient. I know a high end 1911 sometimes takes some loving to get it slicked up its just a bit frustrating having to deal with it after my horrific Rossi experience. I only have the two Para mags for it currently and I think they don't keep the nose of the round up quite high enough to clear the frame every time and thats why the pre-ramp is necessary/working on the BO model.

Well, fingers crossed.

My $700 SR1911 has had no problems whatsoever.

But you may be limp-wristing. I know I've done it with lighter pistols, but not with an all-steel 1911.

Sorry about your luck.
I've rarely had a bad one, and even those worked well enough to continue using.
Just not perfect.
And none were 1911s.
Never a complaint with 1911s.
The same with cars, come to think.
Don't recall ever having a lemon. or even anything close to one.
The gods of mechanicals must like me or something.

sounds like you and I have the same taste in handguns, I enjoy my rugers and XDMs and have been contemplating a ruger SR1911 for a while but just never jumped on it. I know you're sending it in for a ramp work but those are all hollowpoints in your picture... was that the ammo you were shooting? many 1911s don't do well with them. I know if I spent $1200 on one I would expect it not to be among them but para is not exactly known for impeccable quality.

The self defense jhp rounds you see there, hydrashok, winchester, speer, etc are miscellaneous older rounds I am replacing with some Hornadys and I was putting those through my Kimber UCII. I'm want to make sure the Para is good to go with the standard ball ammo before I start experimenting with SD rounds. I put 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 230 grain ball and 50 rounds of PMC Bronze 230 grain ball through the Para this range trip. Last time it was Federal 230 fmj and more win white box. The short length duel recoil springs on the Kimber are pretty sensitive to limp wristing and due to the weight of the Para it doesn't kick anywhere near as much as the Kimber so its definitely not a limp issue.

I only have the two mags that came with it, both para. I notice that sometimes the top round is horizontal to the ground instead of pointed up at an angle as it should be. I think maybe it's catching the lip of the frame just before the barrel ramp. On Para's new Black Ops they have put in a pre-ramp and it isn't having any of the FTFs that are somewhat common with the Pro Custom. They gave me another fedex label today. I'll be shipping it to them monday. I'm hoping they cut in that pre-ramp and polish the chamber and feed ramp and adjust the extractor again. IDK, we'll see.

Here's some pics of the mags.

That is good advice to send the mags in with the gun that 1stmar offers.

Of the several guns I have, whether it be my Glock, my 1911s or the other makes, models or calibers, most of the problems I've had were magazine related. That seems to be one common denominator with all magazine fed guns.

(Let me add that I really don't have a lot of problems with my handguns.)

Thefineline sounds like you have been on the para forum on the 1911forum, if so you know that in addition to the ramp para is adding to the frame and the extractor tension, There is speculation that the mag release doesn't hold the mag high enough in the frame and the mag springs may not be strong enough. I'd enclosed a letter requesting them to specifically look into each of these.
There is little to argue that para has some fine tuning to do, but the options and overall parts are quality, I think their issues are in the engineering but are easily resolved with the appropriate steps. Interestingly while reviewing some of the comments I went back and look at my to dble stacks (20+ years old) both are gunsmith frames, one has the ramp in the frame, the other doesn't. They were built by two different smiths, at least one knew to put a ramp in the frame. Btw both are extremely reliable, never a ftf so the ramp may help, but if all other things are right I don't think it's requirement. I plan on buying a Bo and a pro custom, I have a bunch of older mages and a spare mag release, if they don't perform my first thing will be to look at these parts.

The shop I go to stopped selling Para's because customers ended up bringing them back with too many problems, they actually have this on their site.

We haven't sold Para Ordnance handguns in a while. The company was bought by Remington (aka The Freedom Group) and is going through a complete revamp.

The "old" Para was a disaster and we stopped selling them completely.

lee n. field said:
Get a Glock.

You wonder why so many people cant stand Glock fan boy's, and it's because comments like these. Glock's are not the only reliable pistol on the market, sick of seeing comments like these.

I'll be among the first to ask... could you be limp-wristing it?

And I'll be among the first to argue that, imo, any pistol overly sensitive to "limp-wristing" in terms of reliability is not a suitable candidate for self-defense purposes. There are way too many possible scenarios where securing a "proper" grip in the heat of the moment is not feasible and there are a host of pistols available that are not especially susceptible to failing if a good purchase on the grip is compromised by circumstances that preclude same.

I don't want to speak for the op, but a pro custom is not a good choice for a defensive pistol, wasn't intended for that. That's not to say it shouldn't be reliable though. Personally I think para is very close and dedicated to sorting this out, it's fine tuning. Their cs is excellent, that shows they care. They have a great product line up and while the issues are certainly concerning, with the right attention they are normally easily fixed. I just don't think the changes have made it to production or distribution yet.

1stmar, I have been to the forum but I hadn't seen the bit about the mags not riding high. I did notice on Para's site that they're redesigning the mags so I bet they're trying to resolve the FTF problems that the Pro Customs and the BOs have been having. Thanks for the info. I'll be adding that onto the letter that's going in with my Pro on Monday. Both mags will go with it again.

You're right about the use, I bought the Pro Custom for a target and race gun. It has competition sights and a big magwell that don't work great for a carry gun. I have an OWB holster for it and will carry it on occasion and use it for home defense but it definitely won't be my primary. The Pro Customs have a TON of custom and upgraded parts in them. I'm looking forward to it being slicked up and running smoothly.

Back