My longest shot at a Whitetail

Mannlicher

Hunting across a peanut hay field on a farm in North Fla. last Sunday evening, I took my longest shot in some 45 years of Whitetail hunting.
I was waiting to see if some of the numerous deer on this farm would come out at dusk along the edge of the woods. There were a lot of track and sign coming to the field out of a swamp.
I waited across the field, behind an old round hay bail. Just at dusk, three does came from the woods to graze. I chose the larger of the three. Resting the .270 across the bail, I took the shot.
The doe was hit solid through the heart. She jumped, and then ran some 20 yards into the woods. After about 20 min, I walked across the field, into the woods, and found her.
That is by far, the longest hunting shot I have taken. Every deer I have killed up to then, was shot at less than 125 yards.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

My longest shot (at 300 yards or a step further) was in a winter wheat field that spanned one section. At 640 acres, a section is a mile square. That would have been a bit too long of a shot to take, from one side to the other. . .
;)

What load?

What wind?

What rifle/scope?

What bullet performance?

What was your hold?

What's your rifle's zero?

--Hey, you wanna talk shots with this crowd, you have to come up with more details! ;)

BTW, congratulations!

well,
Rifle is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer, made in 1952.
Scope is a Leupold VariX II, Compact 2 X 7
Load was factory Winchester 130 grain SP
I zero this load to shoot to center, at 200 yards. I did not hold over, but put the crosshairs right on the back of her shoulder, as she was angling slightly away from me.
Bullet performance was what it should be. Good expansion, with most of the bullet intact, resting against the inside of the left scapula. Entrance would was very small, and there was hardly any blood shot meat, or damage. Heart was pretty tore up.
I do not hunt much with this rifle or caliber. Most of my hunting is in heavy cover using a lever gun, but with all that sign along the edge of the woods, and many sightings of deer feeding at the edge, around dusk, I thought it would be worth a try. A nice buck would have been better, but the freezer is getting low, and the farm has some doe permits.
The field is small one, running some 450 yards east to west, and 250 to 300 north to south.

good job

thats a nice shot but it doesnt surprise me that much i love the .270 round. i dropped a big ol doe mule deer this year with a 150 gr. powerpoint factory load at about 250-275 yards

its clear you need to upgrade to a 300 WSSM and a 14X mil-dot w/ ill. recticle. probably a 26" fluted HBAR. stainless too.

Good shot......

Hey....... I love the 270 too......it's my first choice and best grab out of the gun vault.... I bought a New England Ultra Hunter with the nice laminate stock....... I put a 3x9x50 on top and man does it hunt nice....... The New England is a single shot and you can get one in multi cals. and multi configs. I think I paid about 265.oo if I remember right and tied up another 100 on the scope...... it was an economic long range tack driver.... It is a nice flat shooter..... and I tell you it's one of my best rifles.... :D

Congrats on your nice shot.......... Mine was only 110 yards on a big ole doe, day after Thanksgiving 04. As a lot of us meat hunters say.....the rack is an added bonus but when one isn't around and a doe tags in your pocket.....put meat in the deep freeze............. :D

Thats a good shot! Feals good making a long shot. The longest I made with my 270 is 296 yards. I tried one at 367 and missed. the first time I ever missed a deer.

Back