My latest addition to my addiction!

"JJ"

Well I have been entertaining the idea of handgun hunting for a few years now. These days I only chase fur anymore, although I will shoot the occasional hog or two. But the challenge of shooting a wile coyote with a handgun intrigued me.
After a bit of research I was heavily leaning towards a 44 magnum and a longer barrel revolver seemed like the perfect choice.
At heart I am a S&W guy so, even though I eye balled a few Super Blackhawks, there was very little thought needed for the brand.
Then I had to decide WHICH S&W 44mag I would choose. My friends and shooting/hunting partner has nice model 29 with an 8 3/8 barrel that was very nice. I ran accross the 629PC Magnum Hunter with it's two tone frame and massive birdcage like compensator that really seemed like it would fit my needs. It was a bit more "tacticool" than I preferred, as I was a bit more into the traditional look, but it seemed like it would definitely tame the most magnum of loads.

And then, I saw her.
She immediately caught my attention! Both in looks and price! [emoji102] She also had a built in compensator that would aid with the heavier loads. I just needed to find a deal.

Well at a Mesquite,TX gun show the stars aligned. I found the exact model I had desired and at the price I could afford!

I've got some good trigger time and my affection continues to grow for her. She feels like she is holding my hand when I grip her stocks. And although I have swapped out her pretty wood grips for a rubber set, I think the wood handled the recoil just as well.
I will stretch her out further but I've been impressed so far at 25 and 50 yards.
She does have a ferocious bark and a bite to match, but she sure looks pretty doing them both!
Now I'm contemplating an optic or staying with iron sights but either way,
she's a keeper. [emoji106]

~ JJ
9dae4677d554bb16277130307e77d2b8.jpg
1cd56d4fdb01cd6ff5a7f6311a0e73ac.jpg
34fee912c34b5ab3341b7e6b1fdbfbcf.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your new revolver. I will be picking up my "new to me" Factory Nickel Model 29-2 from my FFL this afternoon. Since it only has a 4" barrel, it will not be a hunting revolver.

Let us know when you put a halt to that coyote chasing the road runner.

S&W has gone to a spring loaded ball in the crane and detent in place of the plunger that lock into the front of the ejector rod. I don't know if it applies to all models or not. They claim it's stronger than the old system.

Congrats on your new revolver. I will be picking up my "new to me" Factory Nickel Model 29-2 from my FFL this afternoon. Since it only has a 4" barrel, it will not be a hunting revolver.

Let us know when you put a halt to that coyote chasing the road runner.

Thank ya sir and congrats on yours as well! [emoji106]
Haha, it'll be a LONG time before that roadrunner will be safe! [emoji16]
But I'm giving it an honest effort! [emoji106]

It needs a monopod.

That extended shroud makes it look wicked. I don't see a front locking bolt; has that been deleted?
I thought the same about the underlug. [emoji106]
I've spoke with some who despise it but I think it's sexy!

I carry a BogPog tripod with me to the range when shooting it. It allows me to shoot off a rest while standing. I suppose when I start hunting with it I would do the same.

And yes there is no front lock up.

Its a really beautiful gun. I just for the life of me cannot get over that damn hole in the side. I know it does not affect anything about the operation and/or accuracy of the gun, but its there and I can't make myself like it. I have seen a few with the plugs and I think I could live with the plug covering the hole. The next gun that temps me with the Hilary Hole, I'll probably go for it and plug the hole. Maybe that will do it. In the meantime my prelocks will have to do.

Beautiful revolver. I'm sure it will serve your hunting needs well. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter that shoots very well but like you, I have a strange affection for the Smith & Wessons. I recently bought a 460 XVR with the 8 3/8 barrel and put a Leupold scope on it. It is amazingly accurate and like all my S&W revolvers, it's an easy shooter.
310288cd31253f00abeda7dd9a33ec7a.jpg

Shes a looker! I really like the lines of that underlug. GIves it an old timey feel, like an old Army cocking mechanism.

Doggone it, now I gotta look for one! ;)

Back