my Kahr P9 bites.. :(

shiroikuma

I've put 200 rounds through it already and took it to shoot today. The slide was constantly locking back on full mags. I mean 5 times in one 7rd magazine. Both mags did this with two different types of ammo. I'm really unhappy. I think I'm going to sell it and get a mini Glock. The mags suck too. Rounds will jump out of them in your pocket. I suspect that is what is triggering the slide stop, rounds sliding forward and up under recoil and triggering in it. I don't want a singe shot CCW weapon. It's got to go. This does not quailfy as reliable.

Oh and my thumb was nowear near the slide stop.

shiro

Hello. I ran into the same thing with my P9. Kahr kindly sent me another slide stop, stating that it was what caused the problem. It did not solve the problem. My P9 was quite reliable until I used +P ammo. Then, the problems you mention occurred.

I diagnosed the problem myself and consider it a design flaw, but others do not see it that way. Interestingly, I've heard from 2 others today having precisely the same problem.

As I see it, the spring that holds the slide stop down must be "mounted" just right in the polymer frame to offer enough force to overcome the slide stop lever's upward impulse when the slide abruptly stops in its rearward travel and this impulse is greater with the hotter loads. IF mounted properly, all is fine, but if the hole in which one end of the spring fits is a tad large or a fraction off from where it should be, the spring doesn't offer enough downward force to avoid the premature lock back.

If you are familar with the K9 series of Kahr pistols, you are aware that the way in which the slide stop spring's mounted is radically different than the P9. Examination of the two guns' slide stop levers will show differences, too.

While both are made of two pieces, the pin and the lever, on the P9, the lever portion rotates a full 360 degrees. By not silver soldering or otherwise affixing it to the pin as on the K9, the portion of the lever that the weaker P9 spring has to keep down weighs less and therefore, has less upward momentum for the P9 spring to overcome. To me, a possible fix would appear to be a stronger spring, but perhaps there's some reason why Kahr doesn't think so that I'm not aware of, or this may be just what they're doing on newer guns.

I have read that at least one P9 owner sent his gun back to Kahr and that it was fixed 100%. I have not spoken to anyone face to face on that, however.

I do tend to believe that Kahr will do all they can to make their product right, having heard nothing but praise for their warranty work and customer relations.

However, I've kept my K9 which is flawless and gotten rid of the P9 which I couldn't trust, replacing it with a Glock 26.
I much preferred the "feel" and looks of the Kahr P9, but will take the G26's reliability for now.

Good luck, sir. If I learn anything else on this, I'll post it for those having problems with P9s. I suspect that as is common with many "births," there can be "delivery" problems, but feel confident that these will be corrected.

The problem is that it was too late for me and my particular P9, but perhaps not for you and others.

Best.

I have a K9 which is a fabulous gun if you don't mind the long smooth pull of the Elite trigger. It runs like a fine watch and has great balance. I haven't handled the polymer but can't quite imagine it having the same feel and balance of its steel brother. Is saving a few ounces worth the trade off in terms of muzzle rise and balance? Probably not for me, but YMMV. Incidentally, yesterday it shot a 1 1/2 inch 6 shot group at 55 plus feet, offhand. I say it because I don't think I'm good enough to take credit. And,although there were two witnesses, don't ask me to do it again!

ljlc

Wonder if it is possible to remove the slide stop entirely? That would streamline the gun and solve the problem of unintentional lock-up. Might make disassembly harder but still possible.

Hello, Oleg. One could remove the portion of the slide stop that holds back the slide. One would not have lock back then, but no hold open after the last shot. Just a thought.

Best.

No attacks intended, but I'm just amused....

When a $250 pistol has various production issues that require trips back to the manufacturer, fluff & buff, new finish, etc... then it's completely acceptable.

When a $500 pistol has ONE persistent issue that can be remedied either by a mail-out part, or, INfrequently, a trip to the factory, it is completely unacceptable, and utter junk????

The Kahr is a GREAT pistol, PERFECT for carry when you demand light, slim, dependable, good trigger, smooth action, full 9mm power, etc.

I'm not downing the Kel-Tec, (I'm patiently waiting for my P32) I'm just seeing vastly differential treatment between the two firearms..

One more thing...

Shiro,

Like I said on another post you replied to... call Kahr immediately, they'll have you the new slide stop THIS WEEK! If that doesn't fix it, (I'll bet it does) THEN send it back once, and it'll be 100% reliable.

Hello, Onslaught. I, too, agree that Kahr makes very nice, very effective little pistols. My disappointment with the P9 is probably enhanced by my great "luck" with my utterly dependable K9. Frankly, I broke one of my cardinal rules in buying the P9.....or any new design as early as I did rather than waiting a year or two for any possible design bugs to be remedied.

I don't know how many thousands of rounds have been fired through my K9 with no problems whatsover. I will have to refinish it someday as I've literally worn the blue off its frame.

Best.

Onslaught, I think you know why the seeming disparity exists. The kahr costs twice as much, and kahr states their goal is to be the finest American made pistol, with a reputation something like the much worshipped German pistols (I'm sure I read something to that effect in a review or their website). They set the higher standard, they have to live with it.

Remain calm. There are still plenty of Glocks to go around. Sell the Kahr and find your home at Glock. I too had a bad experience with a K9 but I have learned.

Back