my holster

Rifleman1776

I made the holster below for my own use with my Ruger Single Six. I carried this almost daily for many years while working at my farm. The idea came to me after a muzzle loading hunt. I got back to camp and was removing the Ruger Old Army I had been wearing all day. I found, to my surprise, that it was at full cock. I was very lucky to not have had an unintended discharge. I could only assume it cocked by catching on a branch or something. For the SS, I wanted something that would hold the gun, be easy access with no loops, snaps or whatever to slow me down and, foremost to be safe. I know this is not the priettiest holster ever but it is stout, fits the gun well and works. I just do not understand why I don't see commercial holsters that protect the hammer in this manner.

Attachments

• SS holster.jpg
    SS holster.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 63
While not as fully enclosed as yours, this holster I use on my NAA Pug prevents the hammer from being inadvertently cocked.

that is a name I have not heard in a while. Roy Baker's pancake holsters were made here in Magnolia while Roy still owned the company. I have two originals that I know he made. My boss was a good friend of Roy's, and we were in his shop when he made them.

David

David, I live in Arkansas also. I have a Pancake for my Ruger SS. When I learned the company was selling out, it was about the same time synthetic holsters were just hitting the market. I approached a friend who owns a large company that makes products that are stiched for the auto industry. He has the means, physical and monetary to take on other products. I wanted him to help me buy out the Baker business, patterns and molds so we could continue the Pancakes with synthetic materials. I thought I saw a good and growing market for such items. He declined. Looking back today, I believe he made a mistake in not going into that venture with me. Oh, well.

Back