My handgun is started to bleach out around grips

Petar

Inactive
Hello everyone,

I have one big issue with my gun.
First to say,it's not real 9mm handgun,but 9mm blank gun.
Problem is that metal around grips is started to bleach out.
It starting to get more of greyish color instead of black.
Gun is made I believe from zinc alloy.
I saw similar thing happened to steel 92FS few years ago,so I don't think it's zinc problem.

Do you guys know what can I do to keep original black finish and stop bleaching?

Yeah,I shoot every 2 weeks on average around 25 rounds,and I handling it even more so.
I sometimes use leather gloves just to keep finish,but now I doubt it's helping.

The finish on Zinc alloy (ZAMAK) is typically a coating vs a surface treatment, and coatings wear off with use. That's just what they do.

Hey guys,I need help with one more thing
When I disassemble my gun I accidentally make some scratches on barrel and it really annoys me.
I would like to know is there some way to permanently cover those scratches,like spray or pen or something like that?
I would really like to permanently cover those scratches because I don't want to cover it every time I handle the gun or when I clean it.
PS
I probably wont be able to buy it if the item is in U.S. because I live in Europe,so if you can,please recommend something that can be bought in any local store.

Thanks

Petar said:
When I disassemble my gun I accidentally make some scratches on barrel and it really annoys me.
I would like to know is there some way to permanently cover those scratches,like spray or pen or something like that?
I would really like to permanently cover those scratches because I don't want to cover it every time I handle the gun or when I clean it.
Please post a couple of photos to show us what you want to repair. At this point, you haven't even told us the make of model of the pistol, or what "real" firearm it is a copy of. We don't know if the barrel is loose or built into the frame, and we don't know if the barrel is chrome, stainless (unlikely), black, blue, or turquoise.

It's difficult to offer advice about an unseen problem on an unknown item.

Zinc is susceptible to corrosion due to oxidation or chemical reaction. Zinc corrosion is called zinc pest. It can be due to sweaty hands or moisture. A moisture and chemical barrier such as high quality paint can help protect the base material.

Sure,I posted 4 photos of gun itself.
It's replica of Beretta 92FS and the model itself is Ekol Firat Magnum.
Barrel is built into the frame and cannot be removed.
Barrel is as same color as whole gun-glossy black.

https://ibb.co/BCkVHXv
https://ibb.co/khbCcrW
https://ibb.co/7NVPLGW
https://ibb.co/HCVWBdk

I hope you can see photos,I couldn't upload them in standard way because they're too big.

EDIT:I installed custom grips from another model,original grips are black.
DnPRK,is that kind of paint available in local paint stores,or is it some kind of special paint only for guns?

Last edited:
Schlitz 45,will that help to cover it permanently and will it stay even if I clean it and rub it with gun oil and cloth?

Petar said:
Sure,I posted 4 photos of gun itself.
It's replica of Beretta 92FS and the model itself is Ekol Firat Magnum.
Barrel is built into the frame and cannot be removed.
Barrel is as same color as whole gun-glossy black.
That's pretty much what I expected. I have one, for use as a class prop in teaching pistol permit classes. I'm 98.73 percent certain the finish is nothing more than sprayed-on enamel paint, so to refinish your barrel I would just buy a can of gloss black spray enamel, use some wet-dry automotive sandpaper to break the gloss on the existing paint, mask off the rest of the frame with masking tape, and respray it.

The "bleaching out" at the grips is nothing but the paint wearing thin and allowing the bare metal to show through. If that bothers you, repaint that area, as well.

If you want a higher quality, more durable finish than what comes on those blank guns, look into DuraCoat and see if it is available in your country or if the maker can ship it to your country. It's basically just an industrial coating, not a "gun part," so I don't think it should be subject to ITAR regulations.

https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/

Aguila Blanca,will that be permanent solution?
Like I said,I'm afraid that I will rub off that spray paint when I handle it and clean it.

if you clean it up and make it look pretty again, but continue to use it, it will begin to show wear again. its just a blank gun so enjoy it and stop worrying about cosmetics.

Petar said:
Aguila Blanca,will that be permanent solution?
Like I said,I'm afraid that I will rub off that spray paint when I handle it and clean it.
Which, the paint or the DuraCoat?

Both are surface coatings, and both will be subject to wear. Plain old, garden variety spray enamel is a lot cheaper and more readily available, but not as durable. DuraCoat is a 2-component polymeric coating. It is used as a factory finish by a number of major firearms manufacturers and it is fairly durable, but it is nonetheless subject to wear -- just not as rapid as "paint."

DuraCoat will be much more resistant to cleaning chemicals.

JERRYS. Aguila said that they probably used regular sprayed-on enamel paint that can be bought in paint shops.
I'm confused because original paint and paint in spray I want to buy should be same thing,right?
Why would new paint rub off if original paint didn't?
Also,how much different will new paint on barrel be compared to rest of the gun?

PS
One more thing.
Is there a spray that looks like glossy nickel to buy?
I was thinking about that for some time,because I wanted nickel barrel one day.
I was thinking,if I change origin

I have an MGC Colt SAA blank handgun. I used a permanent Sharpie market to cover some scratches. Not perfect by any means but good enough for what it is.

attachment.php

Sorry for double post Aguila,you replied as I was writing.
I meant regular paint,Duracoat is very expensive,not to mention shipping.
How come original paint won't wear/rub off,unless it's scratched?

Petar said:
How come original paint won't wear/rub off,unless it's scratched?
Paint does wear off. That's why the areas around your grips appear "bleached." The paint is wearing thin and allowing the zinc alloy -- which is grey-ish in colour -- to show through.

Back