My H@R revolver needs help!

heyyou

Inactive
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and my name is Pete but feel free to call me Hey!...You! if you want. With that out of the way, I'm looking for help with an old revolver I just had transfered to me from a friend.

It's a Harington and Richardson hammerless break top .38 cal that's nickle plated with a 3" barrel. Can anyone help me with...

(1) Identifying the exact model number of this gun and an idea of how old it is?

(2) A referal as to where I may be able to find parts for this thing? It needs a tang screw and the trigger group part that turns the cylinder to align the next shot. I realize this gun isn't worth a pile of money but it's in pretty decent shape and I'd like to get it up and running again.

In advance, I thank anyone and everyone who reads and replies.....Grateful

You may want to get the catalog from Dixe Gun Works to peruse the many antique gun parts they have for sale. Otherwise you may want to contact H&R factory as they might repair it for you.

Dixie Gun Works

I doubt Dixie has any parts for that gun. I believe H&R is again out of business, and in any case that gun has not been made for around 60 years. I suggest going to www.gunpartscorp.com and ordering their catalog. They have some parts for that gun; you can order off the web site, but a picture is better.

The part that turns the cylinder is called the hand, but it is usually the hand/lifter spring that breaks. Most of the parts are repro and will require a lot of the three F's, fitting, filing and frustration. And sometimes a little redesign to make a new part work.

If you want to fix the gun, you should probably be prepared to do the work yourself if you can. Very few gunsmiths will touch those guns simply because labor alone will cost far more than the gun is worth. (I could do a dozen S&W action jobs in the time it took to fit a trigger spring for one of those #$%^&* old revolvers.)

Jim

Thanks Jim

Hello Jim,

What a coincidence, Just today I found a local gunsmith that identified the exact model of the gun and ordered the parts I need from the very source you recomended. He also offered the same comments and advice on the labor to repair it, actually quoting your very words of $@*&^. about those old revolvers.

Well, what the hell, I'll give it a try. I got this thing for nothing and the parts weren't too much money. It would be a shame to just throw it away I think.

Thanks for your help ,

Pete

Back