My Great Uncles Savage 22 Hornet

Buckeye!

I have tried for a a couple of decades to trade my cousin out of his Great Grandfather's ( my Great Uncle) old Savage 22 Hornet , model 23D ...Uncle Oscar passed back in 1978 he was born in 1892 making him 86 when he passed..
The old Savage 22 Hornet was the first centerfire rifle I ever fired .. It was his only centrfire rifle he ever owned .. He was a grounds keeper at a very large estate .. and the old Savage was his go to rifle , for coyotes , rabbits , Turkeys and a few deer .. It was his constant companion ....when he was on his horse or in his golf cart ( when he got older he went with a golf cart) he even had a scabbard on his tractor ..
This is not a actual pic of his rifle
zxc.jpg

Since my 100th attemp with a trade over the years . I have decided on a getting a centerfire 22 .. Maybe a old Savge 340 in 22 Hornet .. or similar ...just to knock around with .. maybe tote while checking the fence line or checking the springs ..

I have my dads 340 in hornet. cost 67 dollars in 1967 lol. he had a k4 weaver on it that went bad. so when weaver made the anniversary scope that also had a timex in the tin box I grabbed it.
......when the pawn shop came up with a 840 savage (same-same as a 340) in 222, I traded a new heavy barrel 223 for it. nostalgia driven, oh well, bobn

ps another nostalgia type gun to grab is a marlin in 218 bee.

I like the Hornet. Mine is a full stocked (Mannlicher style) H&R 157 single shot. I also two Savage 340s, one in .222 and one in .223. If I ever find one in .22 Hornet (for a reasonable price) I'll definitely get it.

coincidence

I had a great uncle (Harry) that was a real character, and he had a Savage Hornet as well. I was fascinated with it. Not sure what model it was......perhaps a Model 34, maybe a 23....I dunno.

But he shot a slew of groundhogs with it, and a goodly number of fall turkeys (legal) as well. I suspect that in hard time, he may have plinked a whitetail or two with it as well (not so legal).

Back