My Glock 23 with black sanded off,,,,,,Pics

JMack

Well I posted this on GlockTalk and thought that some of TFL people might find this interesting.

Anyway, this 23 of mine is very old and was showing a ton of holster wear. After talking to a few people I decided I was going to either bead blast the black phosphate off or use extra fine girt paper to do the job. Well, I used the paper and all the black was gone in about 30 minutes, thats how easy it was. Normally I wouldnt try this but I have heard that some GSSf people have done this and it in no way effects the durability or harm the actual tennifer finish in any way.

BYW, that fussy grip is the A-grip, a must have on any of my Glocks:)

Heres the pics

View

View

View

Dude! That looks pretty cool. Do us a favr, though, and let us know if you get any corrosion or malfunction from your experiment. I am curious how well the Tennifer process handles removal of the outer layer.

Chad,

I will keep you posted, I did do quite a bit of research before I went through with the process. The Tennifer is actually inside the metal, the black phosphate is just the outer layer and has nothing to do with the tennifer. Cant remember how deep the tennifer goes into the metal but it was quite a bit. The fact that the black came off so easily without removing metal was reassuring also.

Like I said, I will keep you posted but I am not too worried about it. If worst came to worst the first sign of rust it would be sent off for a harrd chrome job.

It is nice having something a little different to look at.

~Jason

j mack thanks for the pics. I was curious to see how this turned out. It looks kind of like a matte nickel finisht doesn't it? Shiny but not polished. I wonder if you tried polishing it or if thats a waste of time. It might be a waste of time as you'd have to polish into the T-finish in the steel. Those dark slide serrations look nice. :)

shiro

Shiro,

You are right it does have a matt nickle look to it but at the same time it is unlike anything I have seen. When the light hits a flat on the slide the right way you would swear that it was black. Now I have a nickled Sig and it does not play that same tricks on my eyes. It really does look unique, almost rustic.

I was thinking about polishing it down a little more with a dremmel tool and some simichrome polish but I actually think the way it looks now is pretty cool so I am leaving it.

later,
~Jason

Back