My first spring turkey hunt...WOW

browninggold

Inactive
I can't get out as much as I like because of my job. (sound famaliar)? Last sat. I was using my mouth call and was talking to some gobblers which were still in the roost. I had two hen decoys set up. They were not getting any closer so I crawled and still hunted about another 30 yds or so closer to the gobblers' ( I'm guessing they were about 100yds away)-nothing no more gobbles. So I picked up my decoys and walked about 200 yds south and cut and purred real soft. Right away two gobbles, about 75-100 yds away. I'm looking for a good place to ambush them, its' swampy and mucky where I hunt and did'nt go 10 yds to find a location. Anyways I look through my binoculars and no more than 30 yds away 3 gobblers' are running toward me. They must of covered the distance in 3 seconds. About 12yds in front of me is a wide tree. So I cutt and purr real soft again and the second one started to strut (Mr.Tom) well the first one is peeking around from behind that tree and I thought for sure they would all high tail it back. So I cut and purr again and Mr. Tom peeks at me from the other side KaBoom my Browning Gold 31/2" loaded w/ Winchester Supreme 3" speaks and Mr. Tom does two cartwheels backwards-WOW 91/2" beard 1" spurs exciting!

Got my first permit this spring. Haven't been able to fill it yet, seems as if the birds have moved to the other side of the "No Hunting" signs.
Made a side trip to Texas a few weeks ago and had a good time. Four bird limit I got two. Brought home a feral hog too.
I'm going to try Oklahoma next year.

Back