My first SPR build

griz59

Inactive
Hey guys! This is my first post here on The Firing Line so I apologize in advance for any typos or other mistakes. Anyways I've been putting together my first AR build by replacing pieces one at a time from a host rifle (Brothers n Arms xephos) My intent is to turn it into a SPR for medium to long range engagements (100-600 yards). This gun will be a Coyote hunter, range gun, and a SHTF weapon. I would like to ask for your thoughts on the build so far and recommendations for future parts such as: triggers, flash hiders, suppressors, slings, bipods, scopes, etc.

My current setup is: 16" Black hole Weaponry 416 Stainless Steel match grade barrel with a 1/8 twist and polygonal rifling, Cryptic coatings "Mystic Black" BCG (if you are not familiar with cryptic coatings look them up, amazing product), SLR 10" key mod solo rail, magpul ctr stock, magpul MOE-k2+ grip, A2 flash hider, surfire x300 light, mbus flip up back up sights, Vortex spitfire 3x (good for the medium stuff), all resting in/on a Brothers n Arms forged receiver group, trigger, and charging handle.

Thanks!
Cy

I could get coyotes the way that you have it, except I'd put 3-9x40 scope and a red light.
A muzzle brake that keeps you from kicking up dust could be beneficial. But only if red lights are permissible in your area.

I'd not even have the light on your possession if not allowed

Red lensed spotlight, used for hunting varmints at night. Many animals won't be disturbed with a red lens. It is legal in some states, check local laws.

Last time I hunted coyotes, I had a brake that had many small ports on top and solid on the bottom, anything that directs gasses away from the ground will work.
Much of my hunting was close to the ground.
Brakes vary in actual recoil reduction, many are more decorative than useful.
One that allows you to see the bullet strike the animal is a plus. Some people would talk crap about a brake on a .223, but they have a real application in varmint hunting.

I currently have a JP supercomp on one of my ARs, it does a fine job of keeping your target in your view but I haven't used it hunting. I've used it prone and does just fine for dust. It's loud tho

I'll get flamed by some but I have to say you'd better hope the wind isn't blowing or you have plenty of time to walk the bullets onto a target at 600 yards.

I have to ask, if you plan to shoot out to 600 yards and you have a magnified optic on it, why did you go with a 16" barrel instead of longer?

For your criteria, it seems to me you could do better with something like a 20-24" barrel to get the extra velocity out of your chosen cartridge to shoot it better at long distances.

Just a thought though.

Just cause most of the shooting I do is 100-300 but I occasionally take shots at 400-500 and am practicing to constantly hit 600. I just figured I'd take the decreased performance for a lighter more ergonomic SPR more suited for mid range with ability for long range

I don't think an SPR can reasonably be compromised by "lighter and more ergonomic" and still meet the needs of an SPR.
I carry an AR15 almost every day for 3 months or so during winter. The one I carry most often is a 16" H-Bar but when I expect shots to be possibly 250 yards or so, I switch to a 20" H-Bar. The extra weight must be accepted to ensure better holding and higher velocities for the longer ranges. If coyotes are responding well to the call and I want to cover more ground, I can use an M-4gery and lose a pound off the carbine's weight.
No free lunch, weight equals stability and barrel length equals velocity.

Back