My First Shoot!

sedwards

After watching only one match, and with a little prodding from the guys at the local gun store, I shot in my first match last Saturday -- had a blast!

Brought my own shells & cartridges and a pair of Cimarrons -- borrowed everthing else (holsters, shotgun, & rifle). Had opportunity to shoot the Cimarrons only once prior (a box through each) to make sure everything was in order -- had never fired their rifle or shotgun before.

(Now, before ya'll go off, I've fired plenty of rifles / pistols / shotguns before, just not these.)

Summary: didn't shoot myself, or anyone else; no unsafe handling (rotating for a cross-draw was something new); no procedurals (that surprised me some); and I shot the last of five rounds clean. WOOHOO!

I have no idea what my times were -- and I don't much care.

Surprises: yes, you can miss with a shotgun; firing a '94 at-speed is "easy"; and I need a lotta work with six-guns. :)

------------------
The value of my life, my Rights, and those of my family are incalculable;
your life and your Rights, should you choose to threaten mine, are worth exactly $1.79 --
delivered 230gr at a time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CAS shooting. Friendly and enjoyable. We had our monthly shoot yesterday (Sunday) and still had 36 shooters show up in the rain and shot the match in the rain. That's just over half our usual contingent.
I too don't much care about the scoring, though I usually am in the top 25 % or so. I go mainly to have fun and shoot.
Don't worry about trying to get all your gear at once, just get what you feel comfortable in getting. All that leather and those firearms costs quite a nickle! You might ask if a cheap cordura holster would be acceptable to use until you're up and running. Many local clubs allow some variances in order to get more shooters involved in the sport.
Good luck in your future shoots!

I live in Evansville, Indiana. Where would I go to find out where there's a CAS group nearby?

Any ideas?

thanks.

------------------
Take the long way home...

Back