My first rifle should be???

marklyftogt

I have been shooting and XD9 and a 4" S&W model 66 for a while and am now getting the rifle itch. Looking for a Marlin 1894 in .357 but the older ones are hard to find.

What would be a good starter rifle for me and I am not interested in a .22.

Don't need a canon either or something that would break the bank on ammo.

Thanks.

Hard to beat a good 22 for not breaking the bank on ammo, plus it's easy on the shoulder, easier to shoot indoors and the skills developed carry over to centerfire rifles. You might look for a good used Rossi Puma, I have seen complaints that the quality control on new ones is not what it should be.

My first rifle was a Marlin 336 30-30, it was used for around $250-300.

I've seen new ones at Wal-Mart for $400. Not sure on new quality, but mine has performed perfectly.

pretty vague, but 50-100 yards helps.

Bolt- (winchester model 70, or CZ 550 for .308/30-06 rounds that are definitely manly but not crazy big. Ammo gets pricy though.

Sounds like youd be pretty happy with a cz 527 in .223. You dont want a .22, but want something thats cheap right? .223 is perfect unless you wanna go really cheap and get a 7.62x39 and shoot crummy surplus, though you wont print tight groups if thats important to you.

If you want a good plinker I'd go bolt action 223; many good inexpensive rifles such as the Savage Axis may be found in this caliber.

It's hard to beat a nice old surplus rifle, bolt or semi. It really depends on what you want to do. If you're interested in getting glass, I would probably look at a newer, more modular platform like a Remington 700. You can upgrade as much as your wallet permits. If you're just shooting with irons, an SKS seems like a good deal to me. They're plenty fun, feel like a ton of gun, and are cheap to feed. It's a win/win.

marklyftogt,

It sounds like you are interested in lever action guns.

You say you don't want a 22, does that rule out all rimfire cartridges?
If not maybe a Henry lever gun in 17HMR.

If it has to be a centerfire rifle, as others have suggested a bolt gun in 223 would be a good choice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

You're on the right track. Keep looking for a lever action 357/38 rifle. It will fill all the requirements that you want and levers are a hoot to shoot.

a 357 carbine is quiet, light and pretty accurate out to 100 yards. however the 1894 in 357 is one of the hardest leverguns to locate these days. I have been looking for one off and on for about 2 years now and none of my LGS ever have them. if you are dead set on a levergun you might be able to compromise on the caliber and get the marlin 336 in 30-30. it has about the same capabilities as the 357 in the ranges you specified and does a little better out past that. it's not a super loud round but it is louder than 357 and has a bit more recoil but still within a reasonable amount for a starter rifle. last I checked ammo was about the same cost between the two but the 336 generally costs half of what the 1894 does and is a lot easier to find.

I can think of a couple reasons. Increased stopping power in case he might decide to do something else except target shoot, and cost. Perhaps he reloads and 38 Special can be reloaded for about 1/2 the cost of decent 22 ammo.

M44 for the cheap surplus rounds. Its also good past 100 yards.
let's see, heavy trigger, kicks like a mule, blows out everyone's eardrums in a 1/4 mile radius, 4 MOA with a good bore, and requires a 2x4 to open the bolt after each shot... but it's got a flip up bayonet so it's pretty much awesome.

the M44 is a good gun for someone that needs a cheap shooter but it's a horrible choice for a first time rifle buyer.

the M44 is a good gun for someone that needs a cheap shooter but it's a horrible choice for a first time rifle buyer.

I whole heardly disagree with this. Sure its not the most practical but the sheer awesomeness of the even that occours when you pull the trigger will make you smile every time. That will leave you wanting more and more.

fun starter rifles on the relitavely cheap

91/30 and m44
sks
ak variant.

If you're gonna do rested target shooting, a levergun might not be the best tool. Something like a bolt action 223 would work better. Low recoil, accurate.

Of course I'm going to throw in a CMP Garand, just because.:cool:

I whole heardly disagree with this. Sure its not the most practical but the sheer awesomeness of the even that occours when you pull the trigger will make you smile every time. That will leave you wanting more and more.
bruised shoulders and ringing ears is how new shooters develop a flinch, the M44 makes even the most seasoned milsurp shooters cry and rub their shoulders for a few days. that is not the way to learn to shoot a rifle.

Back