My first revolver... Info needed!

J33Nelson

Hello everyone.
This is my first time posting on this board since I do not own any revolvers. I do, however, want to add a revolver to my gun inventory and there is a Big Gun Show starting tomorrow where I will have a great opportunity to buy my first revolver. The only experience I have with a revolver is shooting my Father's Ruger Bearcat that he has had since he was a kid. After researching a little I think I am leaning towards a Ruger GP 100 .357mag or a Taurus 66 .357mag or the Taurus 627 .357mag. I would like to know any opinions on these firearms from people who have more experience than myself..

Thanks in advance

Sig Pro

Last edited:
Barrel Length

Some more questions!!

What are the pro's and con's of the 4inch barrel for the Ruger and Taurus models and what are the pro's and con's of the 6 inch barrels for the Ruger and Taurus models??

Thanks again!

Sig Pro

Other than a slight velocity increase,i see no need for a 6" barrel unless you want to look like your some kind of tough guy or chick.I have a Rossi 972 with a 6" barrel and an EAA Windicator with a 4'' barrel and both are .357 mag.The EAA's are greatly underrated and a great buy.Having said that i think you wouldn't go wrong with a Ruger,Rossi,or Taurus.

Any three of those guns would be a fine choice, though I have had no experience with the Taurus.

Regarding barrel length, with the .357, 4" is fine. You should try to handle both lengths and see which points better for you. The 6" will have the longer sight radius, and the 4" will be a bit handier.

Good luck.. ;)

But the 4" Ruger, have a gunsmith slick the trigger, and you'll never have to buy another large revolver again as long as you or the next three generations of your family live. Then buy another small one for your pocket!

IMNSHO

You will be MOST SATISFIED owning the Ruger KGP-141 (heavy-lug 4" stainless adjustable sights 357).

Perfect revolver.

My pair wear Pachmayr Decelerator grips and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades.

I have a taurus 627 tracker and I really enjoy shooting it. it handles just about every thing I have put in it, from light lead loads to some really heavy handloaded 158 JHP's. I have the 6" barrel, go with that if you are thinking of hunting at all. otherwise I would highly reccommend the 4".

Regarding barrel length, with the .357, 4" is fine. You should try to handle both lengths and see which points better for you. The 6" will have the longer sight radius, and the 4" will be a bit handier.

I agree..

The only thing I am going to change is the front sight, it has a silly little orange sticker on it:confused: it really sould be something better.

I personally prefer 3" and 5" barrels... although 4" is close second... dunno. Must be some kind of weirdo ;)

If you plan on carrying it, go with the 4. If it is going to be a plinking, target shooting, or knock around the woods gun, then buy the 6 incher. SS

Time to vent!!

Well. I was all set to buy a brand new .357mag Ruger GP 100 Stainless Steel revolver with the six inch barrel. The dealer was going to sell it to me for $200 because I am trading in a Ruger MKII pistol for it. He asked to see my firearm permit and the sheriff department put the date I applied for the damn thing in the expiration date box. So the dealer could not accept it. The gun show ends on sunday and the Sheriff Department that takes care of this kind of stuff is not open until monday. The dealer said he would give me the same deal at his shop which is 1 hour away from my house. WHY ARE SHERIFF DEPARTMENTS SO GOD DAMN INCOMPETENT.... Those bastards are going to get an ear full when I go there on monday to clear up this mistake.

J33Nelson

P.S. No one at the gun show had the Taurus Tracker so I could not compare the two.

Go ye gently into the maws of the high Sheriff's lair. You don't want to talk yourself out of geting one at all.

So sad that we have to put up with this crap.

Good luck Sig.

Sam

Back