My First Pretty Rifle: Ruger #1 45-70

Nathan

So, I just bought my first "pretty" hunting rifle:
A22B3F0C-C163-480A-B27A-5A45FF63E935_zpsapgyxanz.jpg

So, how do I protect it properly. Obviously, the working internals get a shot of Hornady One Shot HD Tac. But the exterior? Seems like many are using wax? What wax? On both the stock and barrel? Or should I use the One Shot on all metal and wax on the stock only?

Last, when hunting, how do I protect against stock scrapes and bruises? I saw this, but it looks like it is not an exact fit.
img-large.jpg

Ruger #1

I've had Ruger 1 45-70 for years. At 100yds with Hornady 300gr Jhp at 2100fps
it shoots like a target rifle. Only draw back is the pounding it gives you shooting
off bench. If you are like me that only happens when sighting in. When hunting
not noticed. Ruger made a limited long barrel version, Lyman model. I have
been looking to pick one up. Then try some long range with bigger scope. I
have 2 3/4x on mine. Shot some Barnes 400gr, walked sideways for a week!

#1 thing you can do to keep that rifle looking good is NOT storing it in that soft case you have pictured.

Honestly if you plan to use it and want to keep it looking good. My best advice is to keep it out propped up next to the fireplace (or heat vent nowadays);)

Sure it'll get worn and some knicks in the stock but keeping it somewhere toasty warm that will have circulating air and dry. Deer rifles here get rain and snow all over them and they dry out just fine.

^^^^^ it is sitting in the safe which is temp and humidity controlled....about 68F and 30-40% humidity. The humidity seems just s bit low, but it is dry this winter.

Nate, I'd agree, that's one very good looking rifle, and in an interesting caliber to boot. Enjoy it and don't sweat that first scratch...they're built to hunt not grace a rifle rack.

The nicks and scratches on my guns, for the most part, retrieve memories of long ago hunts with friends and family...for the most part, but there are a few that are just plain reminders of dumb $hit that I ham-fisted.

Best Regards, Rod

Back