my first machine gun shoot

Jrob24

Inactive
Earlier today I attended a machine gun shoot at the Westfield sportsmens club. I got to fire an ak-47 :) and a browning 1919 :D If I had more $ I would've tried the M-60 and the MG42 It was amazing how fast 50 rounds dissapeared downrange! In order to aim up or down I had to turn a knob. Is this typical of machine guns?

jrob24...

Just saw your post. I went today and had a great time! Hopefully they had such a good turn-out that they do it again. Next time I plan on bringing enough money to get on the M2 .50 cal.

"In order to aim up or down I had to turn a knob. Is this typical of machine guns?"

Hi, Jrob. It depends on which type of machinegun you're talking about, and which sort of mount it's on; most tripod-mounted MGs have an elevating mechanism like what you describe, but these are mainly used when the MG is set up in a fortified emplacement, and the terrain is forcing an attacker to cross into a field of fire in front of you. "Flexible" mounts (where you can move the MG around to fire at will) are a lot of fun, but they can also allow the muzzle to point outside the confines of a backstop; that's probably why the MG you shot was "locked down".

Thanks SDC for answering my question. Now I'm wondering if I'll be dissapointed the next time I fire my .22 Well at least I know that $20 worth of .22lr will last more than 20 seconds :)

Back