My First M39 Finn

Capybara

It finally arrived and so far, I am very happy with it. The build, trigger feel, sights and even the feel of the bolt is very different than any of my Russians. It looks nice and I hope it will be a good shooter.

I like that it is a 1968 "Sneak" M39, interesting history there. Can anyone identify how old the receiver is on this rifle?

DSCN1092_zps3e563809.jpg

DSCN1091_zpse37372d2.jpg

DSCN1093_zps84b7e153.jpg

DSCN1094_zpsb201a5af.jpg

DSCN1095_zps14439e0b.jpg

DSCN1096_zps6b3bc1a2.jpg

Last edited:
I live far enough in the sticks that I have dial up so threads that pic heavy are a bit of a chore. Remove the action from the rifle. Be careful to replace any shims you may find just as you found them. Stamped under the tang should be the year of manufacture. If you have trouble deciphering the stamping look on 7.62X54R.net for some clarification.

My 1941 Sako Finn is a favorite shooter of mine. Congratulations.

Thanks JHenry, sorry about the huge dump of pictures but on every gun board I am on, all I hear is more pics, more pics.

Will do on the date check on the tang. Yep, gotta mark those shims.

I could have sworn I just read a thread similar to this about a similar rifle from a guy with a similar name over on SKS boards.... but then again it's more than likely just a coincidence. ;)

good looking gun capybara, I'm just a little bit jealous. the M39 is really the only mosin nagant that I have any interest in anymore.

We use this term "tongue in cheek", like referring to a 91/30 as a "Moist Nugget". The 1967-1970 assembled M-39 rifles were rifles assembled from parts left over from WW-2. Nothing to do with sneaks or special Marksmanship target rifles. Back in the late 1960's Vietnam and the Czech Invasion was going on HOT and heavy, all the M-62 Assault Rifles made by Valmet and Sako after 1965 had the dates stamped on the receivers, and everyone in the world knew who made these, and when they were made. The "Sneak" is a spin to sell these.The structure of the Finnish Army, is to have a small full time army, and a very large reserve force. These so called sneak rifle were the war reserve, along with tens of thousands of M-91/30 captured Soviet rifles.

When the Berlin Wall came down, and very large amounts of East German small arms flooded the market, all the bolt action rifles in the Finnish war reserve, were sold for very low prices to Century Arms.

Back