My first lever gun.

.38Catt

I recently became interested in lever-action rifles, especially the .30-30 cartridge. Interested, but not wanting to drop too much coin. I was looking through reviews and figured I would pick up a Marlin 336C as an entry lever gun. Could not find one. So I settled on the 336W, despite reviews that it was built to a price point and off to Wal-mart I go.

When I got there, they also had a new Rossi Rio Grand in .30-30. Interesting. I knew this model had been discontinued by Rossi in this caliber, but had read some good reviews on this gun, even though Rossi handguns take a pretty good beating on the gun boards.

It was $397.00. I told the guy it was discontinued and asked for a discount as they had obviously had it in stock for awhile (he was very helpful, btw). Long story short, I walked out the door for under $400.00 including tax and a box of ammo. I think I did okay. Can't wait to shoot it!

Any Rio Grande owners out there?

The 30-30 is one of the most under-rated cartridges out there. It survives because it out-performs what the nay-sayers say about it. Given a chance, it serves very well indeed. And the lever-action rifles that it typically comes in have been bringing home the venison for generations.

I am a big fan of the 30-30 and the lever guns that shoot it. I have two now and a big supply of ammo. I could use it for the rest of my life and never need anything more in the way of a game rifle. I reload for it and can make some alternate loads like for small game and cheaper to shoot lead bullet loads. And its easy on a pound of powder. And a huge variety of powders will work in it. Plus ammo is easy to find. Even if you don't reload now be sure and always save your brass. Being able to reload what I shoot kept me from ever feeling the pinch starting in 2008 and still hasn't completely went away yet.

Check this out.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/3030assaultrifle.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/

I just turned 30 and decided now was a good time to buy a 30-30. I went out and hit pawnshops in my area until I found it, a JM stamped Marlin 336 with a rough chamber that would stick casings when it got warm after a few rounds. A little scotch brite on a wooden dowel and now she runs like a sewing machine. I am keeping my brass as well. My other rifle is a .260 REM and the only ammo I can find for that is online or really expensive. I love that I can find 30-30 on sale at $10/20 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30-30 is a great choice. I reload for both of mine but when it comes to deer season I run out and buy a box of Winchester 150 grain power points for $13-15 a box. That's my most accurate round in the one.

The other I shoot cheap cast lead in low recoil that kicks about as much as a 22lr. Good for teaching people how to shoot.

The 30/30 is one of the best cartridges to ever come along and, in reality, there's nothing it can't do. For deer, black bear and even elk it does its job with efficiency and finality. Mine is a Winchester Trapper which I bought long ago and reload for. I've killed deer with it using full power handloads and rabbits using cast bullets. For a first rifle it is ideal and for the expert, it is ideal.

I've been a big fan of 30-30 carbines since 1970. That's when I toppled a big doe with a borrowed Winchester. Like others have stated, 30-30 bullets have relatively thin bullet jackets to open up on impact and cause massive damage to the chest organs. It can kill animals much larger than deer.

You rec'd a good deal on the Rossi. Good hunting to you.

Jack

Back