My first high power rifle match

OnTheFly

I just attended my first rifle match. I have shot a few high power rifles before (AK47 & SKS), but not for competition. A friend is heavy into the match shooting and he invited me to attend. His friend, the one conducting the match, loaned me his Garand which was a bonus. It was very difficult, but a whole lot of fun. Now I've got the itch to buy a Garand.

There were five of us. The friend who invited me got first. He's been doing it for a couple of years and was trained by the best. I'm sure I would have been pretty low in the ranking if the group had been larger, but I was happy to get 4th. The guy in 5th was also a newb to match shooting.

I did fairly well (in my eyes) in the prone and sitting, but dang...the standing was tough.

I have to call my friend and yell at him for giving me something else to spend my money on in shooting. :D

Fly

"...AK47 & SKS..." They don't really count as 'high power'. The 7.62 x 39 is close to the .30-30 with a much lighter bullet in velocity. Drops like a brick past 200 yards too. Mind you, so does a .30-30 with like bullets.
"...got the itch to buy a Garand..." There's something about 'em that no other rifle has.
Go to the CMP, jump the hoops, shoot the matches, even if you don't have to and buy one. A Service Grade rifle runs $595US and a 60 to 90 day wait for delivery. You will have a rifle that is safe to shoot for a reasonable price. http://www.odcmp.com/
"...the standing was tough..." Holding a 9 pound rifle still takes upper body tone.

Congrats on firing a match. I too would got to the CMP and get one of their service grade M-1's. Once the rifle holds you back then go buy a tuned up AR and watch your scores jump up.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm torn between buying an AR or a Garand. I'm worried about what might happen in regard to another AWB in the next year, so I'm thinking that a basic AR might be the way to go for now. Garands should still be available since they aren't black and scary looking.

Fly

If going with a AR then may I recommend a RRA NM. This rifle will take you to at least master right out of the box.

AR's are cheaper to shoot than 30's. I would also recommend reloading if you are not already doing so.

M1 rifles will be available, however, expect the prices to increase if another ban is passed. One option would be to get an M1 and an AR lower now, then complete the AR later. The AR upper is the expensive part (maybe 2/3 of the cost) and is not the "firearm" legally so a ban wold not impact its acquisition.

Lee

One option would be to get an M1 and an AR lower now, then complete the AR later.

I have contemplated this, but the black evil rifle is talking to me...it wants to be complete. :rolleyes: We'll see how funding works out.

Fly

Back